Worklog Project Switch Mii

Okay guys it's about time to attempt yet another portable! I say attempt because I seem to always get a case made and perfect then I quit when I get to the board trim and wiring. For this reason I decided to enter the 2018 summer contest hoping that the 2$ entry fee would motivate me to finish a project for once:blush:

Project features:
- Nintendo switch inspired case and dock
- 3D printed case and controllers
- 6.2" screen
- wii with portablze mii (OMGWTF trim)
- GC+ controller board
- custom regulators
- internal batteries(haven't decided which ones to use yet)

Thats all I have for now. This weekend I hope to get portablize mii working and if I get my screen in I will start to design the case.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
(lmfao trim)
If you've never successfully trimmed a board before, don't go LMAO. You'll have a bad time. OMGWTF is as small as you could ever need to go with a screen that large.

If you've never successfully trimmed a board before, don't go LMAO. You'll have a bad time. OMGWTF is as small as you could ever need to go with a screen that large.

I've successfully trimmed a board before I just haven't put them in a case LOL
I meant OMGWTF I Thought LMAO what is the bigger of the two

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I've successfully trimmed for us before I just haven't put them in a case LOL
I meant OMGWTF I Thought LMAO what is the bigger of the two
Nah, OMGWTF is the "big" trim. LMAO is the smaller one that requires hand soldering hair thin wires from the NAND legs to tiny vias.

I went on a little vacation this weekend and when I got home most of my parts where waiting for me. Now I just need to get portablize mii working and start designing the case. Possibly more updates this weekend
IMG_5849.JPG

How do you plan to Implement The Dock into all of this?
If I get to it I'm just going to have a female port of some sort on the bottom of the unit that will connect to the dock giving me AV out and power in. And possibly player 1,2,3,&4

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
I wanted to implement a dock solution for my first build (soon™) but the need to turn the console off when I want to plug it in made that more of a ''thing I wanna try when I'm at build No. 3'' keep it simple for your debut and you won't get discouraged, I hope to see great things from you!

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
How do you plan to do Detachable controllers?

I was thinking about it hypothetically a while ago, and the best way (Imo) would to use two Gc+'es for each side of the controller, and then you only have three wires that you need connecting through connectors(switch has 10 ten pins for each joycon so you could use those, and then the extra for Ground)

Only downside is that it would need a Firmware rewrite(I asked Aurelio to make sure).

Dunno about any other jankyless methods

So I finally got portablize mii working but it likes to freeze a lot. Is anyone else having this problem? Any fixes? I'm also using a wiimote or navigate so is that the issue? Any advice is appreciated:) I want to get this worked out b4 I trim the board. Thanks in advance everyone!!
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5860.JPG

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Thanks man:) I just hope it works lol
Just remember to make sure there are no shorts on the voltage lines before booting. For future reference I would also recommend relocating U10 before you trim so that you can rule that out as a possible issue.

Anyone know the max size sd card you can use with a USB adapter for portablize mii?

Is it 64gb or 128? Thanks in advance:)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well the answer is actually that you probably shouldn't use an USB to SD adaptor in your portable. PortablizeMii is very particular about the devices it will and won't let you use, and so most adapters don't work at all, or run into issues later on down the road. The one Gman used in his first couple of Wiiboy iterations is no longer produced and can't be found anywhere. The pros, cons, and issues with using SD over USB have been debated before, but USB ends up being the better choice every time.

To answer your question, I'd say that a 128gb SD card would probably work just fine, but I'd reccomend sticking with the Samsung drive you're already using since it's guaranteed to work and is way simpler than trying to use an adaptor.