Worklog ProCon Shells

ruumoo

As many other, I bought a Switch to pass the time during lockdown but after a few day, the ergonomic problems of the joycons in portable mode really started to show. Then I got the idea to create some simple fix for them, that anyone could perform.
After taking them apart, I quickly realized, that a complete redesign of the shells would be a huge untertaking and required considerabgle precision in the model as well as the manufacturing method.
For that reason I have settlet on recreating the rear shell, as it's realtivly simple. After getting the model to fit properlyI want to axpand it to have some different grip options for 3D printing, that anyone could print and simply put on their Joycons with just the 4 screws.
The obvious choice for a grip model is the gamecube controller, for its exquisite ergonomics. This model will probably be based on Wesks fantastic 3D scans of the gamecube and Wavebird Controller.
I also want to try XBOX-360 controller grips, as i find it to be one of the most comfortable controller to hold and it lookes to be a bit simpler to merge into the Joycons.
I have also just ordered a Switch Pro Controller, which I will 3D scan (using photogrametry) and also try to implement aswell.

I am using Fusion 360 to create the model, so here is a public link, where you can see my current progress and download it, if you really want to
(not recomended until I fully test the design and release it)

ProCon Fusion 360 Online Viewer

Here are some Pictures of the current sate:

JC1.PNG

JC2.PNG

JC3.PNG

Last edited:

ruumoo

This Proof of concept was printed on a Prusa Mini Plus with a 0.4mm nozzle and variable layer height. And it fits!!!
The mat white filament is a bit stringy. Glossy Prusament gives waaay better resuts.
Next revision will be to split the model in two printable parts, one with the inner details facing up and the other beeing the actual grip.
20210405_175023.jpg
20210405_175050.jpg
20210405_221137.jpg

ruumoo

Improved this iteration for Printing on FDM Printers. The splitting face is parametricly determined by the the maximum overhang angle variable, so it can be changed for other printers. The large screwholes on the the grip are just temporary
Split  Controller.PNG

ruumoo

Et voilà!

This turned out so much better than i could have ever dreamt.
It's super comfortable, super easy to install and even with only one, it makes holding the switch for longer periods of time more enjoyable.
The parts fit perfectly, without any post procesing needed, straight from the printer
Again, the parts are printed on a Prusa Mini Plus with a 0.4mm Nozzle at pretty fast speeds and the model was prepared for a 70° maximum overhang angle and with a few more changes to the model, you could probably print these on any modern printer.

20210417_181923.jpg

20210417_181932.jpg

20210417_181849.jpg
20210417_181842.jpg

20210417_181830.jpg

20210417_181818.jpg

Here are some shots next to an original Gamecube controller, on which the model is based on.
I have to thank @Wesks again for his flawless 3d Scans!

20210417_182005.jpg

20210417_182046.jpg

ruumoo

I never really liked the name Ergocon, so I renamed the project to

ProCon

ruumoo

I have compleatly overhauled my Fusion360 file, so now I can make as many versions as I want,starting from a basic Joycon Backshell, but all versions are still parametically linked up to that point, so if I ever need to make adjustments to some measurement, it will update every version.

After playing for a week with the Gamecube version, it still feels a bit too small for me.
The biggest ergonomic problem is the place, where the ball of you hand (where your thumb connects to the palm) lies. The Joycon raises that surface significantly, which makes it a bit arkward to hold.
I have now designed a version based on the Switch Pro Controller, which is a bit bulkier, which will hopefully improve on the situation.
It was a bit harder to flow the shape of the bulky Pro controller into the thin JoyCon shape, so it doesn't look too pretty, but the first printed test will show, if it's more comfotable to hold.
The bulge, below the ZR trigger should make a big difference.

Yellow is the Gamecube Version, Blue is the Pro Controller:
Procon2.JPG
Procon.JPG
Procon3.JPG

ruumoo

after printing the Procontroller Version and playing around with it, i noticed the biggest ergonomic problem so far:
tha palm of your hand presses against the joycons lower corner, which is very uncomfortable.
So I tried a different design, that has the outer surface flowing into the top surface of the JoyCon, not the bottom surface and the just cut it off and rounded over the edge. It doesn't look very good, but this simple change improved the handling massively.
Now that I have a base line for a model, I will probably try to iterate on that, instead of trying to match existing controllers as close as posssible.
Here is the picture with my original Procontroller version and below, the improved one:

Improvement.jpg

ruumoo

Another round of Development later I have arrived at this:
20210526_193901.jpg

20210526_193936.jpg

It now wraps around the outside, like Nintendos own Joy-Con Grip and it's super comfortable. I have also further imroved the inside details for printability, mainly by removing some, that have very little purpose and by filling some gaps, that are present in the original injection molding.
The 2 features, that sadly can't really be changed, are the ring around the release button and the box around the battery, which have to be very thin.
Capture.JPG

I'm really happy with this version and I'm really close to calling it done and releasing the final models.