Worklog Problematic Portable

dababy

so… this portable begins last fall when I attempted one and it was a failure to say the least. After I blew a pms I gave up but I’m now ready to start again. I ordered a wii on eBay and the Bluetooth is completely fucked so I need a bit of good ole help. I need to find out the pins on the Bluetooth module so I can wire it up. After I get this part working I’ll begin the trim. Thanks

Attachments

dababy

Welp bad news. I did the Bluetooth relocation and then plugged it in and no red led and no boot. I am pretty sure I wired it right tho idk

Attachments

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
If there's no red light, that's likely indicative of a bigger issue. Try tracing the main supply voltage path to see if there's anything else wrong with this board.

Aside from that, the BT wiring doesn't all look correct, here's what everything should be wired to:

Some notes:
  • It looks like you bridged 12, 13, and the pad in between them, which shouldn't be done.
  • Those solder joints overall (both on the BT module and on the Wii board) don't look too great. It looks like you need to be using more flux, as well as tinning your wires / pads before soldering the wires to the BT module / Wii
  • Try to keep the lengths of the BT lines short; if you keep them short enough, you won't need to twist them (at least for the purpose of getting the Wii to turn on)
Again, I don't think BT is going to be the main issue at play here, but you'll need to fix those issues down the road, should you get to the point where the indicator light is working and you can see that the Wii is at least trying to turn on. Post pics of the whole board, front and back, maybe someone will spot something off.

dababy

Ok thanks! So I redid the Bluetooth relocation and it looks way better. I’ll send pics of the whole board and if anyone spots something please let me know

Attachments

dababy

Ok guys I have a pretty solid guess at my issue… both pads on the 3.3v power rail are grounded how can I fix this

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok guys I have a pretty solid guess at my issue… both pads on the 3.3v power rail are grounded how can I fix this
By finding the short and resolving it. Desolder everything (get some flux pls for the love of Ashen) and check if the short is present on the mobo or the BT module