Worklog PPR

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
So I've been on holiday travelling around France for the last month or so, and lemmie say that coming back to a worklog this awesome really makes up for all the terrible weather I've had to suffer through. Add to that I've been thinking about the feasibility of doing just this exact thing. I'm late to the party here, or perhaps it somehow slipped my notice when I joined the boards.

As fate would have it I was talking with someone a few months ago who had a working prototype board (might have been you marshalh on a different forum?). You mentioned you were having issues with the bootloader - was that on the FPGA? This was the solution the other person I was taking with had - and please forgive me for not remembering their name! That PIF chip really is a pain in the ass, and talking with Zoinkity about it a year ago or so he was musing on replacing the chip with something else. Assuming the FPGA has taken over the security handling it'd only leave the cryptic controller saving functions left to be handled.

It'd be awesome to really "clear the junk" on the N64 board, and get rid of many of the unnecessary components - I'd also love to see a replacement RCP one day with just a little more grunt than the original, especially given the HD codes that are being created now ;)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
still the most professional presentation in our room

Portables
I just rolled through this whole thread and :o words cannot express the excitement in my body or my pants.
EDIT: I other words i need this in my life

Last edited:
Not actually a real product, thank goodness
Hope that means only that prototype, I would be more interested in buying a minimal version of the PPR than any current offering from Retroactive, it's one of the most impressive pieces of work I have ever seen

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Actually I was wondering if we'd be able to get the schematics at some stage as I got a crazy idea about making a all-in-one N64 portable PCB which would just drop into a case (can you tell I'm getting allergic to wiring?).