Portablizing Console Tier List

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Lets discuss portablizing console tiers. Heres my list to get things started. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 5.56.51 PM.png

-Wii top tier because duh
-N64 got the documentation, trims, library of games and n64 emulators suck
-PS2 is cool but usb 1.1 only and cant be cut that small.
-Raspberry pi is easy to work with but its really just emulators
-Dreamcast has is cool, but modchips arent good, and its undocumented and not really trimmable
-Gamecube and ps1 low tier because they are obsolete, but sometimes people still make them for some reason
-Xbox 360 and PS3 because people always ask about them. Sometimes made into laptops too.

Other possible candidates:
-NoaC would probably be C tier?
-NES, SNES, and old sega systems would probably be D?
-Classic Xbox, xbox one, and PS4 are F.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I didn't know that the Pi was a console, or that the Dreamcast being "not trimmable" would somehow place it above the GameCube. I think the list should be made by someone with more knowledge and less bias.

JacksonS

Portables
It seems weird to see the GaemCube ranked low because it's been so popular, but it really is obsolete like you said.

Luke

Portables
Lets discuss portablizing console tiers. Heres my list to get things started. Thoughts?
Cool idea, good list. Here are my thoughts.

My heart wants n64 to be top tier because there's no real reason it shouldn't be except that the wii is super OP right now with all the custom software and support that it's getting. But with the way things are looking, n64 seems to be about to be getting a lot of love, so maybe it makes a comeback?

I've been playing around with the idea of making a gamecube portable (seriously someone please talk me out of it!!!) that has a disc drive. I think it'd be cool to have one that has no software modifications and plays discs, kinda like how I feel about the n64, flash carts are cool but something about plugging the cartridge in the back is very satisfying to me, so I would probably never make one with a flash cart built in. I think that making a gamecube with a modchip to load games from an sd card is really, REALLY stupid at this point, and deserves to be lower than xbox360+ps3. But yeah, tiny gamecube portable with maybe a wii disc drive could be cool, probably deserves D, maybe C tier.

The pi, yeah I guess it seems somewhat out of place on the "console" tier list, but assuming it's a console or at least "a thing to portablize that plays games" I'm pretty okay with it being on there and pretty high up. Super easy to portablize, really viable for noobs who don't want to dive in head first, and plays tons of games as well as does many other things.

PS2, pretty cool console, definitely on my list of things to portablize. If @Gman finds a way to make it smaller, that'd be way cool.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
The thing is about making a list is that you have to define your criteria for what the list is supposed to be about. For example, this list alone could be drastically rearranged a multitude of ways just between the categories of best price, skill requirements, and availability of information.

Even if you're trying to do a "best overall" list you still have to define a handful of notable categories to test each console against. Beyond that, the landscapes continue to change and a list would be subject to regular updates.

This propaganda that the GC is obsolete also needs to stop. Yes we love the Wii, and yes it's good that portablizing has moved in that direction, but the Wii and GC exist in tandem; neither one reaching their full potential without the other, so there's no reason to rag on it like it's useless. Besides, there is still plenty of active development on the GC, and there's still nothing on the Wii that can touch Swiss.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
My heart wants n64 to be top tier because there's no real reason it shouldn't be except that the wii is super OP right now with all the custom software and support that it's getting. But with the way things are looking, n64 seems to be about to be getting a lot of love, so maybe it makes a comeback?

I've been playing around with the idea of making a gamecube portable (seriously someone please talk me out of it!!!) that has a disc drive. I think it'd be cool to have one that has no software modifications and plays discs.

I think that making a gamecube with a modchip to load games from an sd card is really, REALLY stupid at this point. But yeah, tiny gamecube portable with maybe a wii disc drive could be cool.

The thing is about making a list is that you have to define your criteria for what the list is supposed to be about. For example, this list alone could be drastically rearranged a multitude of ways just between the categories of best price, skill requirements, and availability of information.
Clearly the 3DO is top tier for portablizing with all of it's mythical information available xD

This propaganda that the GC is obsolete also needs to stop. Yes we love the Wii, and yes it's good that portablizing has moved in that direction, but the Wii and GC exist in tandem; neither one reaching their full potential without the other, so there's no reason to rag on it like it's useless. Besides, there is still plenty of active development on the GC, and there's still nothing on the Wii that can touch Swiss.

Honestly my version of this list would more be as follows:

~Top Tier~
GameCube
Wii
N64

~Second Tier~
Genesis
NES
SNES

~Third Tier~
PlayStation
PSOne
PlayStation 2
Dreamcast

~Bottom Tier~
The Rest

This listing style is based on Popularity vs Available Information vs Ease Of Modification, a balancing act between the 3 aspects.

Also, the Pi is not in any of these categories as the Pi is not a gaming console, and in fact 1st a programming tool for educational purposes, not for emulation.

_20170206_194712.JPG

Luke

Portables
Something I think people don't talk enough about is unportablizing, or, turning an already portable gaming system into one that is dependent on an external power source and screen. We should have a contest / tier list for that.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Something I think people don't talk enough about is unportablizing, or, turning an already portable gaming system into one that is dependent on an external power source and screen. We should have a contest / tier list for that.
That's much easier (in my opinion)... I would def make a non-portable gameboy, I'm sure streamers would eat that shit up

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Game Gear, Wonderswan Colour, NeoGeo Pocket Color, and PlayStation Portable.

Those are the ones I would want.

In fact, I would pay a commission of a consalized Wonderswan, or Game Gear.

That's much easier (in my opinion)... I would def make a non-portable gameboy, I'm sure streamers would eat that shit up

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
My favorite portable is Resident Stoner Modder Cennar's Portable Super Nintendo with builtin Super Gameboy to play Pokemon while he forgot the normal gameboy existed.