Portablizing BOM

ahrlad

I think they're great as a cheap-and-simple solution for hp/speaker functionality--I certainly haven't found any <$5 solutions that could compete. Unless you're eager to design a custom board I think they're pretty much the only game in town.

I dunno if @Stitches received his and tried it out maybe?

BocuD

Portables
I ordered some
Using one in my portable rn actually.
Lets put it like this: they suck, don’t buy them. They work, but the audio cracking is really bad with my speakers at least. They are advertised as 8ohm speakers (they are, according to my multimeter) and that amp should be able to drive them according to its ebay description. Well, nah. Datasheet says 4ohm max, so this it what you’ll get with 8ohm speakers:

ahrlad

I think the actual lesson there is 'don't trust ebay descriptions' rather than 'chip is bad because it doesn't work well with components it's not designed for'

BocuD

Portables
I think the actual lesson there is 'don't trust ebay descriptions' rather than 'chip is bad because it doesn't work well with components it's not designed for'
Yeah.. i guess? Anyways i’d say go with the amp thats already in the BOM

I've been looking over threads regarding screens for vga 640x480 which accepts the crucial 15khz.

Has anyone much luck finding bigger sizes 8 - 10 inches.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The 4:3 5* screen in the list is not for sale anymore, does someone have a link or a similar screen with driver board that still sells to this day? Or something like that.

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Why are these specific screens recommended, like why is the L7009 so good?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Why are these specific screens recommended, like why is the L7009 so good?
Usually screens are recommended for build quality, reliability, ease of use, and features. The L7009 specifically is recommended over other 7 inch screens because it can take progressive and interlaced component video in natively (removing the need to perform the VGA mod if you use one), build quality is decent, it's easy to open and work with, and there aren't many fakes.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Squishy tacts listed from ebay aren't available anymore. Anyone have a good source for these? I can find tons of tacts on Amazon but I have no idea if they're squishy or clicky and I don't wanna have to order some to find out.

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Squishy tacts listed from ebay aren't available anymore. Anyone have a good source for these? I can find tons of tacts on Amazon but I have no idea if they're squishy or clicky and I don't wanna have to order some to find out.
After looking through just about every tact switch ebay has atm, I cannot find any orange squishy tacts like in the BOM. However, there are these gray ones that you start seeing at about $4 for 20 when searching "tactile button". I bought some but not sure if the quality is as good, anyone bought these before?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-8x8x5M...h-Direct-Self-Reset-Soundless-TC/163659655351

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
After looking through just about every tact switch ebay has atm, I cannot find any orange squishy tacts like in the BOM. However, there are these gray ones that you start seeing at about $4 for 20 when searching "tactile button". I bought some but not sure if the quality is as good, anyone bought these before?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-8x8x5M...h-Direct-Self-Reset-Soundless-TC/163659655351
People have been buying these, been brought up a couple times in discord http://www.kestparts.com/alps-tact-switch-200-pcs-pack-snap-action-switch-new/
Shipping is like $7 so it's like $14 altogether...

Maybe these should replace the ones in the BOM?

Another question about switches: I need some squishy tacts for a keybed on a synthesizer I'm making at an internship. However, they'll only allow us to source parts from Mouser. Can someone help me track some down? I'd be ever so grateful.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Moiser doesn't have them unfortunately. All we've got is an Amazon link and the link Deo posted above.

Portables
I just found a very tiny Linux computer designed to be a very tiny router. I think it will work great for using in a portable that can load games through the SMB protocols since the board will run OpenWRT and can be setup as a native SMB server.

https://vocore.io/

Price is great at $25 USD (cheaper than a Pi) and size is perfect (smaller than the D-Pad of most controllers). It has built in ethernet, WiFi, USB host, and a MicroSD breakout/adapter.

This is probably a very stupid question, but one of the major complaints of a lot of controllers are that the buttons are too mushy, so why are the orange one considered good? (Unless squishy means something completely different then I think it does)