Portablizing BOM

Lots of epoxy really. Also, mounting the jack on a perfboad/pcb gives you much more room to work with as well as more options for mounting, such as screw posts.

GC64

Portables
To anyone who has used the smart charger from this BOM: how did you mount the barrel jack in your case? It's very long and the end doesn't have much surface area so I'm having a hard time seeing how to mount it without fear of it breaking off from the pressure of constantly plugging in and out of it.
I got a mount jack (something like this http://ebay.com/itm/391337809099) and secured it in the back with some JB Weld for safe measure. It works quite well

Hey guys. Is there a write up available on how to do the low voltage mod for the 3.5" tft display?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys. Is there a write up available on how to do the low voltage mod for the 3.5" tft display?
The driver boards are not all the same. If you have pics of your driver board send me a pm and I'll help you

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Yes, it does. That's the screen I have and you just have to run 5v into the power line! No fancy stuff to it.

When looking for a display, what should I look for to determine if it might have a component vs composite connection? Also, is component really going to make that big of a difference in these small 5-7in screen? As most of them seem to be just composite video.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
When looking for a display, what should I look for to determine if it might have a component vs composite connection? Also, is component really going to make that big of a difference in these small 5-7in screen? As most of them seem to be just composite video.
Be sure to check the specs in the listing description. If you can find a model number, search up a datasheet; that's always helpful. I don't know of any common 5" screens that accept component, but the L7009 really is the go-to for 7".

Be sure to check the specs in the listing description. If you can find a model number, search up a datasheet; that's always helpful. I don't know of any common 5" screens that accept component, but the L7009 really is the go-to for 7".
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I'll just go for that one then, It looks promising enough.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I'll just go for that one then, It looks promising enough.
Of course. If you want, you can always scour places like eBay and AliExpress for bare TFT modules and driver boards. You might find a combo that fits your needs better than the L7009. Or you could buy just an à la carte component-accepting driver board and wire up a 5 inch LCD. The options are endless, depending on how much time/effort you want to devote to it. Just remember that the display is only one of the aspects of a good portable.

And component does make a big difference in my opinion. I will never go back to composite after seeing Dreamcast RGB on my 5.6" screen.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Ive gone through the BOM and made some updates.
-Item names are now hyperlinked to the listings
-Old listings were updated
-A few descriptions were udpated
-Part numbers were added to some screens to make them easier to find should the link 404 in the future
-Several screens were added of various sizes and resolutions
-Added some small but excellent speakers, my favorite magnet wire, and the beloved tiny Samsung flash drive

Portables
sin(π)
I can't find a datasheet for the 800x480 5'' VGA/ Composite screen, how many volts does this run on?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It looks like there is a linear regulator of some kind in the bottom left corner of the driver board, so it probably can take voltage in the 6-12v range, probably lower if you mod it

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can't find a datasheet for the 800x480 5'' VGA/ Composite screen, how many volts does this run on?
Gman once said that board can take from 12v to 5v. I have one and can confirm 12v works, but I have yet to test the lower end of its tolerance. Gman knows his shit though, so it'll most likely work as claimed.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
On the 6.2" screen, in the BOM it says $57.94,
but in the link it has $60.99

Its not a BIG difference, but it is different.

Just incase you guys weren't aware

Shank

Staff member
Portables
On the 6.2" screen, in the BOM it says $57.94,
but in the link it has $60.99

Its not a BIG difference, but it is different.

Just incase you guys weren't aware
Prices through ebay fluctuate, and syncing them would require way more effort than its worth. The prices listed are just to give you a ballpark of what they will cost.

Portables
Any chance of getting whether the screen accepts 15khz/interlaced added to the BOM? Would be handy and save some people repeating questions.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Any chance of getting whether the screen accepts 15khz/interlaced added to the BOM? Would be handy and save some people repeating questions.
Both of the 5" screens in the bom do not accept interlaced video.