Discussion Portablized Wii in Wii U Gamepad - gattering info for now

hello
moding system or reworking stuff is nothing new for me ... so no issues there
i do cad design for my hobby anyhow - ( so can make some parts if need to )
dont have own 3d printer but Shapeways is not bad with that

Firs off any one fit 7" lcd in one of those pads?
would all of that fit in there

Was thinking of using hdmi lcd and use the wii to hdmi ( seen on youtube vid ) and somehow cram in a 1 to 2 hdmi splitter with select switch and use the tv button to select the hdmi out - either pad or tv .... ( use mini hdmi breakout for tv out and use 90 degree mini hdmi to hdmi cable )
Ffor power my kid had Nyko U bust ( which died - got new one ) canu use the old one as mounting for
power without cutting in the case - ( possibly use the charge contacts ) . Something in those lines .....
would be nice if could make a new replacement board for the WiiU pad to match the original board
and splice the wii board into that ......
could reuse wii U pad thumb sticks and the other buttons ?
from the other post - i see can keep the Wi-fi and the Sd ( actually would like to keep both )
i see the board trim post - but i also seen on youtube - the board was trimmed even more

i see he is building one of those -

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...d-wii-in-wii-u-gamepad.2253/page-2#post-30537

First off, fitting a wii into a wii u gamepad is pretty difficult because space is tight.

A 7 inch screen could fit if you enlarge the hole for the screen. The wii u gamepad uses a 6.2 inch screen, so that is how big the screen hole is.

You could use a wii2hdmi to get your hdmi video. But do not buy the cheapest one you can. The good quality converters can cost a bit more. Also, fitting a hdmi splitter in there will be a bit difficult. You may have to sacrifice batteries to put in everything you want.

You could use the built in wii u gamepad buttons and joysticks, but that would require a custom connector because you cannot directly solder to the traces for the buttons.

Also, trying to rewire wifi is super difficult and what would you need wifi for? Nothing really uses it anymore.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

ruumoo

I pretty much tried exactly the same thing, about a year ago. Space is very very tight, i would have had to make it about 1.5 cm thicker aswell as add a giant cooling hump on the back. Reusing the buttons and triggers is very difficult as the plastic structure is pretty bulky and it's all on one big ffc cable. Also finding a good fitting screen is pretty difficult aswell as they are 6.2" I think.
Imo it's easier to compleatly design the thing from scratch instead of designing it around the huge space restriction of the gamepad

ruumoo

Any 1 ever reused the Wii U Screen?
guess would need a new lcd controller
Yes, you would need a new controller. But first you would have to reverse engineer the old screen. You need to know atleast the exact resolution (visible and invisible) and figure out the pinout of the ffc cable. The you need to figure out the protocol on all lines. Then you could order a custom controller from china or maybe use a FPGA to build your own

BocuD

Portables
I would get the 6.2" screen in the BOM and use flat lipos in combination with a cooling technique similar to how Perdue89 did his littleBIG Boy. The screen has VGA iirc as does the wii with Aurelio's mods. Reusing the Wii U gamepad panel would require a custom lcd driver and unless you have some very advanced FPGA skills I don't think that's gonna happen. The rest should be the same as any old portable, and considering how small things like the PiiWii pocket are with just a standard omgwtf trim I don't think a Wii U gamepad portable is that hard. Good luck, really looking forward to seeing this one done!

BocuD

Portables
lmao it is, the actual usable height is much less than even the killmii, even when removing the plastic support inside the shell.
Uuh, my portable (swiitch v2) doesnt even use a heatpipe setup or anything and its thinner then the Wii U at its thinnest part, so i’m sure its not that hard lol. Yes i just measured it, its about a millimeter thinner.
Especially when using a cooling setup like perdue89 and if you put batteries in the grip parts it should be quite easy, unless i’m missing something

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Uuh, my portable (swiitch v2) doesnt even use a heatpipe setup or anything and its thinner then the Wii U at its thinnest part, so i’m sure its not that hard lol. Yes i just measured it, its about a millimeter thinner.
Especially when using a cooling setup like perdue89 and if you put batteries in the grip parts it should be quite easy, unless i’m missing something
how thin r ur walls compared to the wii u? also Cheese himself, has been trying(idk if he's succeeded or not or just stopped working on it) to fit a wii into a stock shell. your portable is using one pcb for the majority of what you need. if you are doing the wii u pad, you aren't going to be using just one board, you know what I mean? and you also have screw posts which you can't take all of them out, unless you want to glue your case close

BocuD

Portables
how thin r ur walls compared to the wii u? also Cheese himself, has been trying(idk if he's succeeded or not or just stopped working on it) to fit a wii into a stock shell. your portable is using one pcb for the majority of what you need. if you are doing the wii u pad, you aren't going to be using just one board, you know what I mean? and you also have screw posts which you can't take all of them out, unless you want to glue your case close
I’m talking about my last wiip, the 2nd swiitch. It was thinner then the stock wii u gamepad with its stacks of boards and all its problems. All walls were 3mm which is a lot thicker then those of the wii u gamepad iirc, tho i might be wrong there. The one with the single PCB will be even thinner kek, so yeah when using pcbs it would be especially doable, even more so then a ‘traditional’ wiring setup (which my 2nd switch proves is possible imo)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It seems like you could, but you really can't fit batteries in the handles. When you put a screen, driver board, Wii, cooler it's a real tight fit... I can take a picture of mine as is (no custom boards yet) when I get home

I'm doing a project like this but have hit a road block in deciding what screen to use.
Would something like this be viable?

Seems similar to gnarlynick's screen but I wouldn't know how to set it up

BocuD

Portables
I'm doing a project like this but have hit a road block in deciding what screen to use.

look in the BOM for the 6.2" panel with VGA driver combo. It'll do the job and have sorta nice image quality (for a cheap TN panel)

Last edited:

Paulo

Hi!
A little off topic but since we are talking about Wii u gamepad maybe you can help.
I'm doing a Wii inside the Wii u gamepad and at the moment I'm wiring the buttons and analog sticks to the GC+.
My question is if anyone has got the analog sticks pinout.
I'm not sure were to wire the x and y axis and also how much voltage should I use on them.
Thanks

BocuD

Portables
Hi!
A little off topic but since we are talking about Wii u gamepad maybe you can help.
I'm doing a Wii inside the Wii u gamepad and at the moment I'm wiring the buttons and analog sticks to the GC+.
My question is if anyone has got the analog sticks pinout.
I'm not sure were to wire the x and y axis and also how much voltage should I use on them.
Thanks
You can just use 3.3V for the sticks as well. The buttons all go to ground on one connection, and whatever gc+ data pin on the other, except for L and R (the analog ones).
These are connected to 3.3v and the data pins.
As for the analog stick pinout, just google em lol. Pretty sure some place has em..
Edit:
Yep, found something:
08324A04-AA54-4338-8A35-FE16523009B0.jpeg

This is from sudomod:
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1607

Paulo

Portables

I had the screen from the BOM, I found the driver board was absolutely huge and made the already tight space inside the shell tighter. This screen (same screen) comes with a much smaller driver board and supports VGA and runs on 5v without modification. Doing a test fit, I can get the driver board, custom regulators, a GC+ and 2 FPC breakout boards, and an OMGWTF trimmed wii to be laid somewhat side-by-side on the back of the LCD cage. There's still a bit of room behind the buttons (with some case modifications) for the battery protection circuit and audio amp.

My WiiU gamepad project is going to utilize the batteries outside of the case, there isn't much room inside to really manage a 2 series 18650 battery setup, I'm looking to do a 2s3p configuration. I had to cut out a LOT of plastic inside to get things to fit as is and still need to remove some more for the ventilation. You could go the flat 3.7v LiPo battery route and get a Powerboost from Adafruit to boost it to 5v to run everything which may save on space either internally or externally; I don't see fitting batteries inside the case with an OMGWTF trim, but smarter minds may find a way. Good luck with your project.

Last edited: