Worklog Portable Xbox 360 (slim)- Research Thread

buzzyc

What thought have you given to the controller if any? Do you plan for now to just repurpose the existing controller ICs and PCB for logic?

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
What thought have you given to the controller if any? Do you plan for now to just repurpose the existing controller ICs and PCB for logic?
For the controller, I searched if there is a way to replace it with microcontroller but I saw that there were MS security and that apparently it was not possible.
So I'm thinking of using the chip of an original one or a chinese copy one

I've never owned or played Xbox, but reading this thread is just fascinating. The level of engineering it's taking to figure all of this out is just incredible. Will definitely be following this thread.

Benge

Portables
Loved the new video!
Thank you man !

Here is the video, I corrected the automatic subtitles in French, so I hope the auto translate work well !

I have way too much data to update the thread, so I think I'll do a compilation at the end as a big guide

Wow this is top notch work! I really enjoyed the video, very didactic and also pleasant to see that even though some X360 boards died and the chip shortage is awful, you keep on making progress!! Looking forward for the next update keep it up!

Benge

Portables
Xbox 360 is on a diet again !
IMG_1754.JPG

I receive my custom PCB, so for now the PCB with the "low" power side work great, all regulator are fine.
And the circuit that manage the power path and the batterie charging look to be ok (after some difficulties of course).
The power ON/OFF latch circuit work like a charm, instant power on at the first press on the tact switch and power off with 4-5 second press.

Here I cut to remove the Vram and Ram regulators, now they are powered by mine.

Battery level indicator :
To know the battery level I am looking for a circuit that could manage an RGB led.
But all I find are circuits with OP Amp that control several LEDs.
so if anyone knows this let me know
I'm not sure if this circuit will do the trick for battery monitoring but thought maybe you would want to check it out. It's code is designed for a single cell battery (3.7v) using 1 single RGB LED but the code can probably be modified to set the values for what you need. Maybe this will work, maybe not lol.

Battery Circuit

Benge

Portables
The CPU VCS on my VRM PCB work fine,
But my custom VRM didn't work for the moment,
IMG_1758.JPG

P1050073 (2).JPG

So after few test for measuring PWM signal or other signal, I got a things like short circuit at the main voltage for no reason.
To see if it comes from my VRM I cut the VRM of a dead MB and put it in place.

IMG_1877-pute.jpg

IMG_1878-pute.jpg

And for no reason my 360 MB above are died (the SB are at 90°C so I think it is fully died), but good news the cutted VRM worked.

So for now I have order two other 360 because I only have one left (the one to portabilize).

In the meantime, I try to do NAND relocation on my final MB ... Didn't work, EDIT : WORKED, thanks to @YveltalGriffin for pointing me in the right direction
I specified all my attempt here :

If anyone had an idea of what could be wrong, tell me
bpQgcHgRAJ.jpg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The CPU VCS on my VRM PCB work fine,
But my custom VRM didn't work for the moment,
View attachment 23494
View attachment 23495
So after few test for measuring PWM signal or other signal, I got a things like short circuit at the main voltage for no reason.
To see if it comes from my VRM I cut the VRM of a dead MB and put it in place.

View attachment 23496
View attachment 23497

And for no reason my 360 MB above are died (the SB are at 90°C so I think it is fully died), but good news the cutted VRM worked.

So for now I have order two other 360 because I only have one left (the one to portabilize).

In the meantime, I try to do NAND relocation on my final MB ... Didn't work, I specified all my attempt here :

If anyone had an idea of what could be wrong, tell me
View attachment 23498
xbone 3-dicks-ty ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Benge

Portables
Here is my last video, I talk about all my attempt :

To sum up :
1-NAND Relocation :
Thanks to @YveltalGriffin advice, I managed to get the NAND relocation working.
The issue was : crossing the wire. For high speed signals the wires must not cross each other, and need to be same lenght.

2-VRM

I tried a lot of things to make my VRM working, but nothing of that succeed ...

So I give up on my idea to make a 4 phase custom VRM.
Instead, I will rather miniaturize the original VRMs

After finishing the video, I created a PCB that uses the original Mosfet Drivers and I replace the Mosfets with
a Mosfet Half Bridge designed specifically for VRMs (Its little name: SIZ980BDT-T1-GE3),
this thing is much more efficient than the original mosfets (much lower RDSon and lower HQ) in addition to being much more compact !
kicad_lvIWcKhIvZ.png

I had to separate the PCB for the VCS CPU regulator, I took the opportunity to improve it with a much better Mosfet Half Bridge (which is much smaller too). And now everything goes on one side !
kicad_m3RIQJG68j.png

Finally, a small PCB to have a 12V Buck regulator, which will be much better than the LDO I originally planned. Here, it will just be to power the fan as well as perhaps the Mosfet Drivers of the VRMs.
kicad_RWSMR5Kat8.png

PCBS are on order

Last edited: