Portable Thoughts

caorsi

Got my two Wii's and I am serious on making a portable. There's a lot going through my head. At first I wanted to make a G Boy. Now I've come to think that the Gwii would be perfect to build. Hopefully as far as wiring will go I can use the G boy assembly guide to give me a general direction as far as placements and procedure.

I can't fathom the amount of work that goes to starting a first portable.

Soldering would be something I need confidence in. I hear words like tin the wire and no clean flux iron. I'll get it, I'll get it.

Beans

I'm in the process of building my first portable. Although it is a lot of work, I would argue none of the work is especially hard to comprehend. Making a Wii portable seems to be tread ground at this point. You don't need to figure too much out, just do it. To be honest, a very good chunk of the project is just soldering. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot more to it, and it's a really impressive project that you should be proud of. But it's not like you're doing any programming or low-level engineering stuff.

Now, with that out of the way, you got this chief. Just take it slow. I would recommend printing the case first! It's super annoying to have a bunch of PCBs all wired together but just floating around on your desk. For your information, tinning a wire means to burn off any insulation on the tip and coat said tip in solder to make it easier to solder to pins/vias. No clean flux is a type of flux that doesn't have to be scrubbed off a PCB after its been burned by your iron.

Good luck and enjoy!

Pablo

Portables
3 - G-Wii, Gamebii, G-Boy
If you're looking at making a portable make sure your wiis are 4 layer and not 6. Practice soldering on old junk electronics and you'll get the hang of it. If you want a easier project you could try a wii micro so you don't have to worry about batteries, display, and controls

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
Got my two Wii's and I am serious on making a portable. There's a lot going through my head. At first I wanted to make a G Boy. Now I've come to think that the Gwii would be perfect to build. Hopefully as far as wiring will go I can use the G boy assembly guide to give me a general direction as far as placements and procedure.

I can't fathom the amount of work that goes to starting a first portable.

Soldering would be something I need confidence in. I hear words like tin the wire and no clean flux iron. I'll get it, I'll get it.
don’t worry, it’ll come to you quick. thankfully there’s tons of documentation and resources on the wii, and the g wii is one of the best designs for a beginner.

waldie

Currently in the process of making a worklog for the GWii, but there are plenty of others that already exist. You'll be able to use the GBoy guide for most of the vias and other data. Here are some extra links that will provide you with some helpful resources while working on the project. I've also included a parts list of just about everything you're gonna need.

You've Probably Seen This (Wii Trimming Guide)

Start of GWii Assembly Stream (Noah)

Parts List (Waldie)

Best of luck with the project! And make sure to join the discord for quick answers to small modding questions.

Last edited: