Portables
Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Oh, nice. So you're looking at ≈4 hours of battery life? That's pretty great for two lipo cells!
With the entire portable, in my real-life tests with a 7.4v 5A pack, it is generally closer 3-3.5 hours of gameplay which is still pretty good.

cfc_12

Portables
The case was modeled in solidworks, 3d printed, then sanded extensively, and finally painted.
How long did the case take you to design in SolidWorks?

The physical actions of modeling the case does not take very long, maybe a few hours. But thinking about placement, fine tuning, many iterations.. can take weeks to figure out.
On the scale of 1 to 10 how hard was it?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
But thinking about placement, fine tuning, many iterations.. can take weeks to figure out.
So much this. Modeling "a case" is easy. Modeling the perfect case for all your parts is an art, and takes lots of tweaking.
On the scale of 1 to 10 how hard was it?
Im not Gman, but that's not really a fair question, because that depends on your knowledge of CAD. I would advise looking into CAD 3d design. If you put in some time, and you can really get a lot out of it.

Portables
Looks like a fantastic print! I've seen your VGA (and insane trims) but no wondered if you were selling your VGA boards/pinouts? Composite is hurting my soul (and all the pretty games)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Listen up people! The PS2 outputs native RGB and their are vias for H/V sync from the CPU. You can perform a very simple modification and get VGA from your PS2 very easily. I think the digital RGB is a little more adaptive, there are more features to implement and output options like HDMI as well but a custom board is not required if you just want to upgrade your video quality from composite. The only downside from this new native VGA is that it is a 15kHz sync signal which is not accepted by the majority of monitors, you will need to do testing/research on your own to see which option suites you best. More information regarding in depth details and installation will be coming soon.

Bakuku

Portables
Listen up people! The PS2 outputs native RGB and their are vias for H/V sync from the CPU. You can perform a very simple modification and get VGA from your PS2 very easily. I think the digital RGB is a little more adaptive, there are more features to implement and output options like HDMI as well but a custom board is not required if you just want to upgrade your video quality from composite. The only downside from this new native VGA is that it is a 15kHz sync signal which is not accepted by the majority of monitors, you will need to do testing/research on your own to see which option suites you best. More information regarding in depth details and installation will be coming soon.
If there are both H and V signals shouldn't the output be 31khz? Seeing as both signals are being used for syncronization a full Progressive signal should be produced, right? 15khz is ussually Interlaced, not?

If Interlaced only is possible natively, your DAC board would be preffered.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If there are both H and V signals shouldn't the output be 31khz? Seeing as both signals are being used for syncronization a full Progressive signal should be produced, right? 15khz is ussually Interlaced, not?

image-President_Freddy_Krueger-SHANKY.png

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

Portables
Thanks @Gman, I'll look for the vias on the 79003 since they seem to move quite a lot between revisions and see how I get on.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Gman
@Shank

It seems I'm wrong?
H and V are horizontal and vertical sync signal. 15 kHz or 30 kHz is the frequency of the H sync signal, so basically how many lines are drawn per second. With a [SOMETHING]x480 resolution 15kHz means having interlaced video, while 30kHz means having progressive video.

Status
Not open for further replies.