portable ps2 questions

Just got the screen in the mail, and good news, 12v goes in, but to a 5v regulator, and i've successfully powered it from a 5v power supply : )
Was choosing the case i will be working with, ill take either https://www.polycase.com/zn-40 or https://www.polycase.com/zn-45
but i will have to trim the motherboard slightly to make it goes in, (will need to remove less than a cm) is this a 'good' trim (as in safe, simple and working :D ) looks to me than the only thing i will cut is the ground and a bit of the ethernet port pins (which i dont care about)

Attachments

Can I make a suggestion about trimming before you start?

Because if you're gonna use the HDD connection tools with the two FPC cables then you'll want to leave the bottom edge (orienting to the photos you posted) intact

You can however trim more from the top edge, like so:
20170928_182351.jpg

Last edited:
Yup seems like a better idea, nearly forgot the FPC's, as i have ordered them but still no new in the mail, and a big plus to the fact that only one side would be trimed, by the way, what is the role of the big chip you cutted of ?
Also is there anything i need to remove on the board or to relocate after this trim ?
Next question, do you know which components can be removed after removing the cd drive ?

That big fat IC is the one that spins the disc, moves the laser, and also powers the laser. Without the disc drive it never gets used, so it can be safely removed in the design you're using. I refer you to my guide on removing ICs:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/removing-ics.1530/

The only thing to relocate is the reset switch, it requires soldering to a via though

BTW I decided to switch back to the 70011, so I'm finishing the SATA bridge board I was designing.

Thanks for the info, and nice to see you getting back to the 70000 : ), i've already ordered the FPC + board though,
Regarding your guide i've already read it, and also i've read every other guide that could be of interest :)
Do you know if there are any other IC's on the 70000 that can be removed safely ?
And can you also show me where are the point for relocating the reset switch ?

Still waiting for news of my ide mod, ordered the 11th of september and still marked as processing, i had no luck sending an email and getting a reply :-\

Still waiting for news of my ide mod, ordered the 11th of september and still marked as processing, i had no luck sending an email and getting a reply :-\
Don't forget it's coming from china, 1 month is fairly typical handling time from there

Yeah i know that but i was expecting my order to be atleast marked as shipping after 3-4weeks :-)

And the story continues (rather a big late but well ~~)
For now i've fried 2boards so far, but did some progress, and i have all the parts (except one that will come in the mail in the next few days)

I've bought the L7009 LCD from dx, and i was wondering if the RGB output from the ps2 would work with the RGB input of this screen (if anyone has actually tried it ?)

Also is there a way to get vga signal without actually using GSM (Ie getting the signals before the sync is mixed in) ?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
And the story continues (rather a big late but well ~~)
For now i've fried 2boards so far, but did some progress, and i have all the parts (except one that will come in the mail in the next few days)

I've bought the L7009 LCD from dx, and i was wondering if the RGB output from the ps2 would work with the RGB input of this screen (if anyone has actually tried it ?)

Also is there a way to get vga signal without actually using GSM (Ie getting the signals before the sync is mixed in) ?
The L7009 natively accepts component video in, you don't need to use VGA with it.