portable ps2 questions

You know you can set the screen to 4:3 mode right? All 16:9 screens have that option.
Leaving aside that I have never found this to be the case, let's say you do set it to 4:3, you're still wasting a lot of space

Also its not 16:9, its 5:3

Theend

Hello, I'm going to create ps2 portable but I do not know how to trim the motherboard and what to do next. Please help

cfc_12

Portables
Hello, I'm going to create ps2 portable but I do not know how to trim the motherboard and what to do next. Please help
your ps2 slim motherboard should be 7900x.

From this picture

trim it that would look like this

and try to make a worklog so you can post your questions there

Ok i will check those out, need to find one that will allow charge and play, or work something out to have charge and play on one port :)

Dumb question, but im unable to answer it myself ~~
If i purchase this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3S-25A-11-1...601108?hash=item4b1c600194:g:upMAAOSwC8FZbVKv
I would still need a charger to apply 12.6v on it to charge the batteries, limiting somehow the current to what my batteries can handle.
Also to be able to charge and play something with a mosfet to unplug the battery while charging, connecting the load directly to the charger.
Does that seem right ?

While I agree that single port charge and play is the most ideal way to setup the power system, most of us just use the dual port system

was refering to it as a 12.6v 1.5Amp (since it can be regulated) charger board.
With a mofset to disconnect the battery from load and a 15V DC power supply to supply both the charging board and the system to make a charge and play thinggy

Im wondering how much more efficient are the PTN's relatively to the onboard ps2 regulators ?'
Was wondering if with a 12.6v 12Ah its worth replacing the onboard regulators with it ?

Yea sorry, I misunderstood you, I only suggested the PTN78020WAH to be used as the voltage reg from the batteries, but anyway back to your battery board conundrum. I understand that the very concept of a handheld carries a few design assumptions, thanks no doubt to the way most of them are designed today.

I think it started with the Game Boy Advance SP (could be wrong, feel free to correct me), it was the first handheld to use a rechargeable lithium battery, one that you could charge as you played, then unplug, play, recharge, and so on, and that's a very good way to do it!! The thing is though all of the handhelds from the GBASP to the DS, to the PSP, even the 3DS, and arguably the Switch *cough* roided up netbook *cough* are designed to be pretty low power consumption, so a relatively low powered 5 volt charging block is all they need. Consoles on the other hand aren't designed to run that way, they were never really optimized to be low power consumption in the way that a handheld is.

I make all these points because in order to both charge the batteries and run your handheld your charger is going to have to be pretty hefty, I don't have data on typical consumption rates for any given handheld design, taking the screen and extra bits into account, but I'd estimate that it would have to be 8-10 amps at least (once again, feel free to correct me).

Anyway I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I think that this is the main reason that we use the two port setup, at the end of the day it's just fewer headaches. If you're worried about confusing the ports, make them two different sizes. But this is just my two cents on the matter, end of day, you do you

Well im a going to repurpose an apple magsafe connector (which has 5pins) and modify it a bit so it can only be used to power my build, and it will give two different power, one will be from the small CC CV charger so 12.6v, and the other will power up the device while the battery will be charging so it should be around 8.5v (depends if i go the custom reg route or reuse the onboard regs).
This custom charger will ressemble a laptop powerbrick (with two connector, one for 220v AC the other for 12V [car battery ~~]) so i can make the portable a tad lighter (the 12.6v charging stuff being inside the powerbrick).
As for designing the powerbrick, its way easier than making the portable, an AC-AC transformer, a rectifier bridge, a few caps and you're pretty much set.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well im a going to repurpose an apple magsafe connector (which has 5pins) and modify it a bit so it can only be used to power my build, and it will give two different power, one will be from the small CC CV charger so 12.6v, and the other will power up the device while the battery will be charging so it should be around 8.5v (depends if i go the custom reg route or reuse the onboard regs).
This custom charger will ressemble a laptop powerbrick (with two connector, one for 220v AC the other for 12V [car battery ~~]) so i can make the portable a tad lighter (the 12.6v charging stuff being inside the powerbrick).
As for designing the powerbrick, its way easier than making the portable, an AC-AC transformer, a rectifier bridge, a few caps and you're pretty much set.
Are the magnets set up so you can't accidentally put the plug in the wrong way and dump 12v straight into ground?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Better wire it up right then, or poof..... mumble.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Make sure to wire it so 1=5 and 2=4 or you will have issues. It's also generally a bad idea to reuse connectors and not use the original pinout/voltages, because if one gets plugged into something it's not supposed to, you can easily start a fire.

yeah thats why i am going to modify the connector, or maybe ill just take a 85w macbook powersupply and wire it the same way ~~