Worklog Portable Gamecube 5

Bakuku

Portables
Hi all,

Because I had a spare Gamecube Component Cable video chip and Motherboards laying around, I decided to make a VGA compatible Portable like my second blue one.

Most likely after this one I will venture into Wii Portables, givin I get my hands on some cheap 4 layer NTSC boards and GC video gets a Wii release or someone commissions me ofcource.

Features:

- Zenloc Custom regulators
(1.62v CPU, 1.812v GPU "apparently needed for VGA/Component to work properly", 3.3v main and 5v rumble internal, external and maybe screen)
- Gamecube NTSC-U IPL 1.0
- Gamecube Componenten Cable VGA mod
- 5" LCD screen Innolux AT050TN22 with KYV-N2-V1 driverboard (These screens support both 480i and p signals. So no black screen on Bios menu! The driverboard is big but still fits behind the screen. Works on 5v as well without issues)
- Wasp Fusion with Swiss and Micro SD slot mod
- Internal 256mb memorycard on Slot A
- SD-GECKO on Slot B with memorycard adapter for file transfer.
- 4 x Panasonic NCR18650B cells (6800mAh 7.2v)
- 4 player external support with switch for Player 1
- Internal speakers and AMP
- Rumble
- Original Gamecube buttons and layout
- AV out (considering VGA or Component and composite for non HD tv's)
- Trimmed heatsink with small Asus fan

These features may change during the cource of this build.

I will update the first post with pictures and Progress.

Hope you enjoy and wish me no issues hahaha

Edit:

02-08-2017

Pictures added.

-Trimmed motherboard hybrid cut
-5" LCD screen
-Homemade Wasp Fusion adapter for testing
-Gamecube Component cable chip wired for testing

02-08-2017 part 2

-Picture with component cable attached and displaying bios menu.

-Changed Component wires from chip to motherboard. Ide to multistranded wire for better signal.

(Found out I have a dead pixel :( arggg, but we must go on! "Fixed")

02-10-2017

-Wasp Fusion, internal 250mb memorycard and SD-Gecko wired (SD-Gecko only wires)
-Bottom half case cut to my desired height and rough placement

02-14-2017

-shoulderbutton holders and multiplayer ports added

06-09-2017

-case almost done, little bit of standing required.

09-12-2017

Some case work done.

Enjoy

Attachments

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
I like that DIY method of wiring to the FFC connector. I would've used that if I'd ever thought of it.

Bakuku

Portables
I like that DIY method of wiring to the FFC connector. I would've used that if I'd ever thought of it.
I had some ffc connectors for the DVD side of the modchip which I used for testing and tought I could use it for this setup as well. It's handy because now I don't have to slice up a Ffc cable which is a pain in the ass to be honest.

The pins are grouped vertically from top to bottom. 1 to 7, 9 to 15 and then 21, 17, 22, 24 and 23, 25, 19, 26 and a pair for 27 and 28. All corresponding to the filtercap pairs. Ground and 3.3v have their own pads. I only connected 5 ground pins as the rest is bridged on the Wasp side.

First post updated

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Good screen you chose there, it's my go-to for portables. They're pretty hard to break, so don't worry about accidentally dropping it. Though, I would like to know how you found that the V1 supports 480i over VGA. I've been trying to find out if the V6 supports it, but I can't find any mention of it.

Bakuku

Portables
Good screen you chose there, it's my go-to for portables. They're pretty hard to break, so don't worry about accidentally dropping it. Though, I would like to know how you found that the V1 supports 480i over VGA. I've been trying to find out if the V6 supports it, but I can't find any mention of it.
Thanks! They are sturdy, yes. They support 480i because I tested it lol.

V6 is the one with the smal driverboard correct? The screen connector is in the middle.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah the V6 is a lot smaller. About 2/3 the size of the screen with the central FFC connector. I guess I'll have to wait until the GCVideo has the option of Wii firmware to check if it also supports 480i.