Question Portable Battery Pack in a Portable?

Portables
I've got a question on the feasibility of taking a portable charger, say an Anker power pack, disassembling the pack to improve form factor, and using it for a power source. Is this possible? I've realized that spending $20 on a battery pack that already comes with a protection circuit might be more cost effective and reliable than sourcing my own batteries and assembling my own charging circuit. Has anyone tried this or thinks it is possible?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Those packs can, and have been used. They work fairly well if set up correctly, but it all depends on the circuit and the batteries. A good circuit with good cells will output enough current to run a 4 layer Wii + screen + audio with a bit of wiggle room, but you won't know for sure until you hook it up unless someone here has tried that same pack before.

Portables
Thanks! Glad my idea isn't totally out of the question. I'll be sure to do research on the power output capabilities then.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you can find a good one that outputs 3 amps, you'll be covered for most anything.

Thanks! Glad my idea isn't totally out of the question. I'll be sure to do research on the power output capabilities then.
The highest amperage you can usually find per port on portable chargers is 2.4A, which should be sufficient for most conservative 4 layer board wii portable setups. You should only buy one from a reputable seller and preferably one where you know what cells are inside. I've found jackery brand batteries to be very good. Also,
You should make sure the battery can handle "pass thru charging" which means the battery can be charged while also charging other devices. This will allow you to have a " charge and play" feature(all jackery batteries have this feature). This feature doesn't work too great on many portable batteries in my experience though.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The highest amperage you can usually find per port on portable chargers is 2.4A, which should be sufficient for most conservative 4 layer board wii portable setups. You should only buy one from a reputable seller and preferably one where you know what cells are inside. I've found jackery brand batteries to be very good. Also,
You should make sure the battery can handle "pass thru charging" which means the battery can be charged while also charging other devices. This will allow you to have a " charge and play" feature(all jackery batteries have this feature). This feature doesn't work too great on many portable batteries in my experience though.
To be fair, they aren't designed for applications where a short current drop would disrupt usage.