Discussion Portable Battery Pack for Wii Portable?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
You mean just plug something in and see if it charges? It works fine when used normally. And yes it turns itself on when I connect a usb / micro usb cable from it to my phone

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yeah try to connect something only to the two power pins
I tried out a couple things (using cables, not custom wiring) and everything worked. One of the cables was a charge only mini usb to usb cable for my turtle beach headset, that says "charge only, this cable does not function as a usb data cable". It worked fine, but it does appear have all the pins inside it.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Okay so I wired up my 3.3v TI regulator and wired an LED to that. I have no idea why my multimeter is having trouble with it but I must be doing something wrong because it appears to be working. Thanks for your help :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Okay so I wired up my 3.3v TI regulator and wired an LED to that. I have no idea why my multimeter is having trouble with it but I must be doing something wrong because it appears to be working. Thanks for your help :)
It's not your multimiter having problems with it. It's the battery pack that is made in a way that it detects if a load is connected and activates itself in that case

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm talking about the specific custom reg Board she used,
unless she/you are talking about the one mentioned in that link of yours.
but it sounds like one of the ones ive found on amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=buck+converter&sprefix=Buck+con,aps,228&crid=1PDGFUA0N72XG
something like that.
Don't use those cheap adjustable regulators in a portable. They are awful for so many reasons. The regs Madmorda and pretty much everyone else uses are the Ti PTH08080 regulators. The battery pack Madmorda is using is from a portable phone charger battery. It uses a 3.7v pack and has a 5v step-up regulator in it.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yep. The regulator for the battery is built into the battery pack. If you buy a prebuilt battery pack made for recharging your phone, it has a circuit built in that protects the batteries and also makes the voltage info 5v from 3.7v. From there you'll need the pth08080s to convert it from 5v to whatever voltage you need for what you're building, unless you just need 5v.

So I've been following this thread and I'm super curious as to how your project is going? Is the portable phone charger working well?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
So I've been following this thread and I'm super curious as to how your project is going? Is the portable phone charger working well?
I don't know :P. My wii wouldn't turn on after trimming, and I got sidetracked when someone broke my gcp shell. Right now I'm trying to get all my other projects off my to-do list before continuing on the wii. I believe the battery is fine, but until I get it figured out I won't know what is causing the issue.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
My phone battery has a pass through charging capability, meaning that I can charge and play. But when I plug in or take out the charger, the battery temporarily disconnects and then reconnects to the wii, which glitches it out or resets it. Is there a way to keep the 5v on for that half a second? Like would a capacitor work?

Sorry for the bump, but it's very relevant to this thread.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Can't find it with a quick search, but I believe @Shank did something similar to this with charge n play since his switch was too slow and the console would reset. I believe he put something like a 1000uF capacitor on the power line to make it not screw up.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Can't find it with a quick search, but I believe @Shank did something similar to this with charge n play since his switch was too slow and the console would reset. I believe he put something like a 1000uF capacitor on the power line to make it not screw up.
Thank you, I'll try this :)

Hi, sorry for invading this thread 2 years later...

I'm completely new to console modding, but I'm currently trying to build my first portable wii. From my research I've found that the wii generally uses 12V, but you are talking about powering it with 5V. Is this possible? Or am I just misinterpreting the whole thread? My first plan was to power the portable using 4S LiPo batteries, but I'm having trouble finding good charging solutions that aren't too expensive.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Hi, sorry for invading this thread 2 years later...

I'm completely new to console modding, but I'm currently trying to build my first portable wii. From my research I've found that the wii generally uses 12V, but you are talking about powering it with 5V. Is this possible? Or am I just misinterpreting the whole thread? My first plan was to power the portable using 4S LiPo batteries, but I'm having trouble finding good charging solutions that aren't too expensive.
Probably check out the threads here

And specifically check this one

The Wii itself requires 12V, if I use a 5v adapter, to go into the (4) 3.7 V batteries, will the Wii portable get enough power? How many batteries do I need?
Is 2s2p fine?