Question PMS Fried?

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
I took my batteries and attached GND to the PMS. As soon as I attached B+, a lot of smoke showed up out of nowhere. But the opposite order of attachment works fine! What is going on?!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I took my batteries and attached GND to the PMS. As soon as I attached B+, a lot of smoke showed up out of nowhere. But the opposite order of attachment works fine! What is going on?!
Do you have pictures of your setup? We need to know how you connected the batteries to the PMS. Generally fire means you’ve got a short between B+ and GND, meaning that the battery is in short circuit with itself. A large amount of current is allowed to flow through the battery and it heats up/glows/all sorts of crazy shit will happen.

Regardless, it’s likely that you’ll need a replacement BQ25895M charge management IC.

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Hey, sorry to hear about your PMS.

The best way for us to help you is if you can provide pictures (preferably clear, non-blurry, high-resolution ones) using the attach files button.

Did you by chance accidentally flip ground and voltage on your batteries? It has happened before.

Edit: Ayy lmao I replied to a ping on discord and Stoned sniped me.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
Thanks for the quick reply! I did not flip ground and voltage, and I am almost positive(pun intended) that they did not short together during wiring.
The charge manager chip does look exploded, though.
P.S. If I use hot air to attach a new chip, can I use a blowdrier set to really high? I don't think so but I want to get a professional's opinion on it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the quick reply! I did not flip ground and voltage, and I am almost positive(pun intended) that they did not short together during wiring.
The charge manager chip does look exploded, though.
P.S. If I use hot air to attach a new chip, can I use a blowdrier set to really high? I don't think so but I want to get a professional's opinion on it.
Nah that's not stronk enough