Solved Please Help..?

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and very new to Wii Portables.
Gamecube modding is all I know but I want to make a Wii portable.
Is there any overall guide to making one like Kasar's Guide for the gamecube portable?

I'm assuming stuff is quite similar to the gamecube but how do I do anything lol?
How do I run the games?
Which screen to use?
How to hook up power?
Controls?
etc.
Any help would be appreciated =)

I don't know much about Wii modding but I would guess it would be similar. Have you ever made a Gamecube portable? If you have I'd suggest looking through other people's worklogs and ask questions. That's pretty much how I learned about N64 portables (and still am). The staff and members on here are extremely helpful and kind as well. What mods have you done to the Gamecube (just curious)

Welcome to the forums! I'm excited to see your future projects! :)

I don't know much about Wii modding but I would guess it would be similar. Have you ever made a Gamecube portable? If you have I'd suggest looking through other people's worklogs and ask questions. That's pretty much how I learned about N64 portables (and still am). The staff and members on here are extremely helpful and kind as well. What mods have you done to the Gamecube (just curious)

Welcome to the forums! I'm excited to see your future projects! :)
Thanks, I have made a full gamecube portable in the past but thats it =)
Did the standard wire the WASP fusion using a MEGADrive, controls, batteries, screen, done.
I don't even know the first thing about Wii modding

Ever since I saw GMAN's wii portable I WANT ONE!

Thanks, I have made a full gamecube portable in the past but thats it =)
Did the standard wire the WASP fusion using a MEGADrive, controls, batteries, screen, done.
I don't even know the first thing about Wii modding

Ever since I saw GMAN's wii portable I WANT ONE!
That's interesting. Your first portable was a GameCube? I want a Wii portable sooo bad also, I am going to start with an N64 first, and then go to that but it looks like you already have experience so I'd go ahead.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Have you looked through the PortablizeMii part of the Wii area? That would be a good place to start for software.

For hardware, controls, screen, batteries, and most other parts are similar. The main differences are the amount you can trim a Wii (it is possible to trim quite far with very little experience, and more importantly, very little wiring), and the fact that less hardware is needed, since things like the WASP are replaced with software loaders.

Additionally, it may be a good idea to take a look at the Wii Trimming Guide or 6 Layer Guide (and the revision guide to determine which to look at :P), even if you don't plan on trimming, because it gives pinouts of most parts in multiples places (eg USB, GC ports, video). You can use those pinouts to wire your screen, batteries, etc to.

Also, if you would like, I can move this to the Wii section, since it seems to be more about Wii portables than GC

Have you looked through the PortablizeMii part of the Wii area? That would be a good place to start for software.

For hardware, controls, screen, batteries, and most other parts are similar. The main differences are the amount you can trim a Wii (it is possible to trim quite far with very little experience, and more importantly, very little wiring), and the fact that less hardware is needed, since things like the WASP are replaced with software loaders.

Additionally, it may be a good idea to take a look at the Wii Trimming Guide or 6 Layer Guide (and the revision guide to determine which to look at :P), even if you don't plan on trimming, because it gives pinouts of most parts in multiples places (eg USB, GC ports, video). You can use those pinouts to wire your screen, batteries, etc to.

Also, if you would like, I can move this to the Wii section, since it seems to be more about Wii portables than GC
Thanks, I literally just found out about this forum and wii portables in general today lol.
Is there any guide for the GC+ on how to wire it up? I think i might hold off on the wii portable stuff for a while and continuing making gamecube portables. Just found out about the GC+ today and its amazing!

I know, my mind has been blown today. I feel like i've been living under a Gamecube rock for the past year :)

Yep, the GC+ has documentation in the Guide Hub
You'll probably want to have a look around on here and see whats new :P

Can't wait to see some portables!
So just to make sure. If I wire the 6 Gamecube controller wires to the GC+. Then connect soft tact switches to the solder pads it will work? No need for a gamecube controller...?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
So just to make sure. If I wire the 6 Gamecube controller wires to the GC+. Then connect soft tact switches to the solder pads it will work? No need for a gamecube controller...?
Yep, though the GC+ only needs 3 (4 if you use rumble) wires, +3.3v, GND, and data (and +5v for rumble if you're using it). Then just wire the tacts and joysticks to the appropriate pads and you should be all set!

Yep, though the GC+ only needs 3 (4 if you use rumble) wires, +3.3v, GND, and data (and +5v for rumble if you're using it). Then just wire the tacts and joysticks to the appropriate pads and you should be all set!
Cool! Thanks a lot