Playstation one "mini" - raspberry pi zero case

I hesitated to post this because it's only a simple pi zero case, but I think the use of custom decals gave it a specific look you guys might enjoy :

PSONE-Mini-03.jpg

PSONE-Mini-06.jpg

As you can see, there are two cases. I initialy only started working on a low quality FDM print made with my Da Vinci Jr 1.0 which is the uglyier of the two.
However, midway through the project, Downing proposed to SLA print this model on his form2 ! I also took the opportunity to refine the model.

The results are stunning, with the addition of custom decals, all of the details I intended are present in this case (left on the picture). I'm really thankful for Downing' opportunity on this ! I had never seen anything other than an FDM print !

I also made a lenghty video showing what went into making both those cases. If you're into this kind of thing :)

This was my first time making an actual case in Solidworks. It may not be impressive to many of you but it was quite an ordeal. Still, I'm glad I got all the screwposts and stuff right eventually.
Premiere_fournée_001.png

Premiere_fournée_001b.png

Then, as mentionned before, I FDM printed it with PLA, 0.2mm height on a Da vinci Jr 1.0 (without supports or anything, which wasn't the greatest idea).
I tryied refining the details with sanding and dremeling. I dedicated quite some time to it, then Bondo'ed and painted numerous times.
Premiere_fournée_01.png

2e_fourn_01.png

But then !
maxresdefault.jpg

Downing graciously offered to give this model a swing on his Form2 ! Straight out of the printer, the results were stunning.
I was lucky enough that all the details were nicely reproduced, since I didn't know how to prepare a model for the angle of SLA printing !

PICTURES FROM DOWNING :
uHJEbyfG.jpg
trait_02.jpg

Obviously, this was a breeze to sand and prep for paint. A few coats sufficed and the details were conserved. (And the pi zero fit directly).

Thus, for the final step, I tryied to do something to make it look as detailed as possible in spite of the size of these cases. I initialy wanted to paint details with an exacto knife, but I wasn't too confident about it. So I thought of using decals like some do in classic modeling. I had never really done it before but I thought It'd be straight forward.

I bought waterslide decal paper for inkjet printers, Traced over the PSone logos in flash (vectorized), resized them correctly with 600pp precision and printed.
I was disapointed to find that it didn't work at all at first. Putting water on the decal to transfer them would also completely solubilize the ink. So I resorted to clearcoating the decals before using them. Which is apparently pretty common. It worked like a charm. Those ended up being really easy to apply.

I don't know if they are going to last long but I do think they bring the case to life.
Sans-titre-1.png

PSONE-Mini-01.jpg

PSONE-Mini-05.jpg

(I also put a recuperated heatsink on the pi but it's not that interesting and I don't know if it actually did anything given the poor airflow situation of the case)

Hope you guys still enjoyed this simple project. The FDM/SLA comparison gave it a reason to exist I think :p

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
This was you? O.o I saw this video a couple days ago and liked it. Nice work!

Reactions: E64
Thank you very much, but that's not my voice ! I ask a voice actor to dub the vids :)

-> @kylejohnsonVA

GC64

Portables
I saw it a few days ago too, I didn't know you were the one who made it either lol. Truly amazing work!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That's pretty cool, sla has some crazy detail! Also gotta give you props for the super professional video

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
This is on hackday as well iirc

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
The comments on hackaday are kinda blasting me but meh, it's mostly deserved..
pretty much the state of hackaday today really.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The comments on hackaday are kinda blasting me but meh, it's mostly deserved..
I gotta give credit to the one guy who went on the article about your rasp pi case just so he could complain about another rasp pi project on hackaday, his comment made me laugh

Also 10/10 for taking criticism constructively

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Yeah, through the comments on any site are going you're going to get blasted. HAD has a reputation for that, though they have gotten better in recent years. Regardless, the attention to detail in you video and the comparisons I think made this a very interesting watch for many people. Nice work again man and thank you for letting me be a part of it!