Question Plaing on building my first portable Wii

Hello, I'm new on this community, first of all I'm sorry for my english, I'm from Spain, so im sure that I'll be doing a lot of mistakes.
I'm planning on building my first portable Wii, I've seen that there are 2 tipes of mother boards, the ones with 6 layers and others with 4 layers. I've seen a post to identify the wii motherboard with the serial number, but as I said I live on spain, so there are only PAL versions here. I was wondering if I can just go to my closest second-handed store and buy the cheapest black/red Wii, or should I look for some NTSC versions on internet?
Also, I'm looking for some screens, I'm about to buy this one: https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...lgo_pvid=f1486c36-615b-4e7e-bc9d-fe87f6d43652
but I'm planning on running everything with 5v so im not sure if I'll be able to run that screen with 5v.

Thank you for everyting :D

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Yea, see if you can find red/black/blue wiis OR ones without gamecube controller ports. Ones without gamecube controller ports have the data lines, so you can wire gc controllers to them.

As for the screen, since the Wii only outputs composite and component, you could only get composite on that screen which is not particularly good. I would recommend this screen. It is the exact same size and resolution, but accepts higher quality component video output.

A white Wii without gamecube ports is fine?

And yeah, that screen looks better, but it runs with 12v, will it run with 5v?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
A white Wii without gamecube ports is fine?
Yes. A white wii without gamecube ports is a guaranteed 4 layer
And yeah, that screen looks better, but it runs with 12v, will it run with 5v?
If it can't run off 5v out of the box, I know it for sure can be easily modified to do so

oookay, thank you :D, and one last question, should I buy any specific cable? I have a lot of these cables, will them work? or do I need a thinner cable?

Attachments

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
oookay, thank you :D, and one last question, should I buy any specific cable? I have a lot of these cables, will them work? or do I need a thinner cable?
yeah those are fine... what do you plan to use those cables for?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
everything but power (switches, usb, bluetooth...)
It might be a bit tricky to use IDE wires to relocate the bluetooth module, but for everything else (except power) you should be fine.

You got me xD, well I love electronics so I don't mind buying some cables, I'll be using them sooner or later, if it is better to use another kind of cable for the bloototh module what cable should I use?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
You got me xD, well I love electronics so I don't mind buying some cables, I'll be using them sooner or later, if it is better to use another kind of cable for the bloototh module what cable should I use?
The best option is to use AWG34 (or AWG38) magnet wire

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Tank you all!!, I lied, that wasn't my last question :S sory. I was looking for some batteries, and I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AANQLRI/ref=psdc_7073960011_t1_B010MP3K0O I was thinking "Oh that's a good deal, but maybe 2.1A is too low" but then I realized, if i solder both outputs in serie I should get 3.1A, I should be ok with 3.1A right?
I would'nt go for those, THere are batteries on this list
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

There is also other stuff on there.

Did you check the voltage of thr battery to see if it was ok? I couldnt find it on the page. Normally phone chargers output 5v. I think you would need more than that. We use batteries listed in the BOM in the general discussion page. They are very good and will probably last longer than that.
Also that is not how current works. V=I × R. Since the voltage is still the same value, and the wii stays the same resistance, the current cant go up.
That battery could be great. Or it could be terrible. I would stick with what has been tested and approved.

Hmm ookay, but the ones in the BOM list doesen't sheep to spain, and im a little bit afraid of making my own battery thing :S

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If you trim your Wii, then 5v is just fine.

Just be sure that it outputs 2 amps.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
If you trim your Wii, then 5v is just fine.

Just be sure that it outputs 2 amps.
5v is just fine but 2 amps probably won't be enough. Most portable battery banks output 2.4amps per port which would cover a conservative portable system. It also depends on your screen and other components you are using.

Also that is not how current works. V=I × R. Since the voltage is still the same value, and the wii stays the same resistance, the current cant go up.
That battery could be great. Or it could be terrible. I would stick with what has been tested and approved.
Also that's not quite right. The reason we use those batteries is because they are a great size and price for their capacity plus they are from a trusted seller. There are plenty of other batteries you can use. Also that's not exactly how current works. A load on the circuit (in this case a wii) only draws as much current as needed to function as long as there is no variable voltage source. Resistance can and does change with additional components (like screen and controller) so the current will change to combat that additional resistance.

Last edited:
@Spencer Richardson used a battery like that in his first wii portable. Maybe he could give a couple tips.
I used the phone charger battery because I was also worried about making my own battery pack without having the batteries explode. So in that aspect it worked well. It can however, be pretty hard to find a good quality one with good cells inside. They are also less efficient then making your own battery pack from the BOM. But for simplicity's sake, it worked out pretty nicely. My setup uses about 2.2-2.3Amps. So make sure you get one that is rated to output 2.4amps if you go this route.

Edit: I didn't see @Chaos 's post. :) he pretty much covered it. Also, I didn't see your post about the battery pack from Amazon until now. Jackery batteries are really good and they use quality cells. All of their battery packs have pass thru charging(the battery can be charged while also charging something else.) Here is a link to the one I'm using for my current portable in progress. It's worked really well so far. It has 2 2.4A ports and has 3 18650 cells inside.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVRLSZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ECGuzbQFDMP6N

Last edited:
Thank you :D I'll be buying this one then, and when I said that I wanted to sum the current from both outputs I was thinking about the nodes kirchhoff law, it says that the sum of the current entering a node should be the same as the current leaving the node.