Worklog PIS2, a long overdue ps2 portable

Discussion in 'Sony' started by darkwing, Oct 4, 2017.

1. darkwing .

Portables:
    Thanks mate, yes it make sense. In this current setup I wired the same data lines, 1/3 and 4/6 from the PI2 to the transformer board and to the PS2 points. I added 1 more wire from pin 2 on the transformer board to the PS2 board which must be that 3.3v pin. I've also removed the caps as they are not needed.

hazardousracerx likes this.
  2. darkwing .

Portables:
    Actually, before calling it done there was a bit of fine tuning I though would be better to do.

First thing was the fan, which was solder on the 3.3v line.
    This wasn’t really enough to cool down the board in my opinion. After a good 15min the case started to feel really warm so I solder the 5v line instead which is much better although sounds wise is a bit more noticeable.

Another thing that I had in mind was to do a bit of a stress test to see how low would the the battery and parts go. I also use this exercise to get a better understanding around the battery setup and get a bit of a feel for setting up the low battery indicator voltage.

So I started with a fully charged battery and turn on the device, put a game on and kept monitoring the voltage drop along with how hot the device was getting.

The portable perform better than I though, it started around 8.37v, then when turn on with all the parts drawing power it was around 7.50v.
    [​IMG]

Btw, should I be worried about this?
    [​IMG]

Then from there it took around 1:10h to reach the 6.30v with was supposed to be the PCB board cut out point ( 3.20v + or - 0.05v)… which didn’t happen.

So keep monitoring to see when the PCB board would kick off. went to 6v, dip under 6v to 5.80v where everything was still going strong ( LCD, PS2, audio).

This continue all the way to 5v and the winner was the LCD board which turn off first when the battery dipped under 5v. This is where I just turn off the device to avoid the battery getting seriously discharged.

This highly the fact that I shouldn’t rely on the battery PCB to cut the current off and this is then something to watch out in the future.
    [​IMG]

With that benchmark in mind I ended up setting the battery indicator at 6.50v which should give me around 20mins until the battery reach 6v and would be around 1:15h play time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    E64, tasiban and MRKane like this.
  3. fibbef Wizardry V Completer .

Portables:
    You're doing the devil's work here, son.

StonedEdge likes this.
  4. MRKane .

I just want to know what that game is - is that Raziel? lol

5. darkwing .

Portables:
    Lol literally, didn't really thinking about it when I put it on for testing but it looked like a pretty good match at the end.

It's called Shin megami tensei Lucifer's call in PAL region and Shin megami tensei Nocturne in the US. I pick it up a few month ago and really enjoyed the story and gameplay so far. It's a bit grindy but the battle mechanics and the demon fusion system is pretty addictive.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    MRKane likes this.