Pinotte's Odroid Emulation Station

Portables
I've been working on this project on and off this summer. It was originally intended for the summer building contest but i had to put it on the shelf for a while due to personal reasons. Now that I have a one week break from uni, I figured I should get it over with because it kind of ticks me off to just see it sitting on my desk...

This portable is an odroid C-0 based emulation console. It will run a custom version of debian made for retro gaming, similar to retropie. The C-0 is an soc like the raspberry pi, but more powerful. see for yourself: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145326484280

features:
- heavily frankencased gba housing
- debian jessie (Mate desktop)
- wifi and bluetooth
- iphone speakers and switching headphone jack with software based volume control
- 3000 mAh battery
- 3.5 inch resitive touch screen screen
- 3ds sliders, ds lite buttons, gba d-pad
- ds lite stylus for touchscreen navigation

Using a teensy 3.2, i programmed my own resistive touchscreen driver which converts touch input to mouse input (amazing microcontroller btw; it's tiny, identifies as a usb gamepad+mouse+keyboard and runs at 96 mhz). It also doubles up as the gamepad.
So far, I have done all the case work and have finished mounting components in the front panel.
The case is made from an original gameboy advance housing with a custom made front plate carved in plastic, with a few ds lite parts frankecased.

casework:
IMG_20160606_155124.jpg IMG_20160607_173919.jpg IMG_20160607_185809.jpg IMG_20160609_131826.jpg IMG_20160609_141511.jpg IMG_20160609_145127.jpg IMG_20160609_155540.jpg IMG_20160610_082320.jpg

painted and with front plate components mounted:
20161013_094728.jpg

I have three days to :
- hardwire all usb components (teensy, audio board, wi-fi, bluetooth)
- make a low battery indicator
- redo all the software on the odroid (broke my sd-card in a very stupid way)
- mount all components in the bottom case half
- close up this fucker!

Last edited:
Portables
Well the odroid gave up on me during assembly so I unfortunately have to shelve this project for the time being... I will finish it... eventually.

Portables
Did it fry? I have a Odroid C0 laying around if you need a replacement.
Thanks for the offer but I think I am going to find an alternative to the odroid C0. It was a bit of a pain to set up the software because of broken usb drivers (os freezes when you connect a device while it is running) and an alpha issue which prevents any n64 and psp emulation caused by bad gpu drivers.
The odroid did fry, I suspect it is from the heat of my soldering iron on the usb ports. The c0 is notorious for being a rather fragile board.

Do you know what in particular gave out in you Odroid?

This looked very promisg, and I would hate to see such a wonderful thing come to naught
I haven't abandoned it! My plan is to 3d print a new backplate for the case and put in a bigger/more powerful sbc with a bigger battery. I was thinking either odroid c2, banana pi m2+, pineA64 or even just a raspberry pi 3.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I haven't abandoned it! My plan is to 3d print a new backplate for the case and put in a bigger/more powerful sbc with a bigger battery. I was thinking either odroid c2, banana pi m2+, pineA64 or even just a raspberry pi 3.
Ah, then I would suggest using he Pi3, and using Lakka as the OS, there's very little software side to set up, only a few bios files specifically. Your primary problem may be the control support, primarily 360 controllers are supported.

Portables
Have you ever used lakka on a Pi? I'm not sure if I would rather use retropie or lakka.
lakka has a nicer ui and is easier to set up but it seems to be a little laggy. On the other hand retropie is much more customisable.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Have you ever used lakka on a Pi? I'm not sure if I would rather use retropie or lakka.
lakka has a nicer ui and is easier to set up but it seems to be a little laggy. On the other hand retropie is much more customisable.
I believe it's a RAM issue, though I am uncertain. I do know that Lakka is daunted usually only by processor power and ram, when it comes to what consoles can be successfully run on the hardware you are using.

I primary Lakka on my Gateway LT2016.

I have alo never attempted to use RetroPie :/