Worklog PiiStationU Portable

Portables
While I've got these things open, does anyone have a favourite "make glowy sticks" mod that I could stick in here too? You know, because if you're going to overhaul something a little extra yards helps warm the gratification cockles in a modders heart.
Couldn't you just bung a resistor for your LED on the 3.3v and the LED in there? http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I was wondering what this was something like this:
https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/wii-u-computer-mod-thumb.jpg?w=600&h=600

I've seen a few things for the likes of the xBox controller but they all seem grossly overcomplicated. I'm big on simple - although given how bright it'll probably be I'll also be big on turning it off after about ten minutes :XD: See this is what happens when I've got too much time to think...like when my gears bust lol

Portables
That's using a micro controller. You can use something super cheap and easy like an ATTiny85 to control RGB LEDs with a tiny footprint. Looks really nice actually.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
That's using a micro controller. You can use something super cheap and easy like an ATTiny85 to control RGB LEDs with a tiny footprint. Looks really nice actually.
I was thinking along those lines - although I'd only want one colour so could probably simplify it further.

In the meantime we've hit the "it doesn't fit with the cooling system" part of our progress, so as a wise man once said "we're going to have to think". Were he alive today he'd probably also say "why are all the micro USB cables always disappearing from around the house" so sorry no photos today!

I'm thinking that I'll have to make the cooling fan part of the external battery pack which will be bolted onto the back of the unit as there's just not enough room left. I could also make some serious cuts in the case and have the fan protruding - both are solutions worth sleeping on at this stage of "cannot undo what you cut!" lol

Portables
Looking at the photo of it, couldn't you move the video stuffs to the top and put the driver board on the left of the heatsink? Looks like enough room to me?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Actually I not long ago made it all fit - pretty much how you said it too. I ended up cutting the heat sink up in a creative way, but with blocking it still works really well. Then a fraction of a millimetre here, and another there and it'd appear that I've squeezed everything in. Even the analogue light on the controller (battery light) operates just fine, although the PCB it's linked to isn't supported at the back so actually pressing the button is difficult.

So after getting all of this in place and playing a bit of Secret Weapons over Normandy one thing is bugging me: the screen. It's out of alignment by a fraction of a millimetre. It's also got an occasional scrolling banding going on which I think is due to the HDMI ribbon cable that I'm using to connect the PS2 adaptor with the driver board.

So before I start really nailing things down I'm left wondering if I can stuff the rumble motor back into it too (on that - does anyone know what voltages the PS2 outputs to its rumble motor? The Wii U is probably only 3.3 or 5V). After that it's onto developing this battery pack :)

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
So - after an ongoing argument and a massive amount messing around, plus a small spot of engineering and swearing - I finally managed to get the camera to connect to my computer!

So the heat sync got cutup to fit [warning graphic content!]

And this is the unit laid out - it all fits and is a pleasure to use. The one issue I've had is that occasionally during loading of some games the HDMI screen decides it has to turn off and won't turn back on so I'll have to wire up another button to trigger that occasionally.

Edit: So I wired the screen power button to the gamepad "power" button which has worked really well, and I sincerely hope there's not another button I need as I'm kinda all out! I also tracked down the lines to power the little LED light behind the home button, but couldn't access the PS2 lights anymore as I glued the memory card over them. So being lazy wired it to the analogue light on the controller - and oddly enough you wouldn't believe how happy that little glowing light makes me. I wonder if I need glowing sticks now...

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
There was a little "Void" sticker on the back of the PS2 that I peeled off also (if that helps). But around my place all sorts of little bits of electronics make good bedfellows hehehehe

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Because I figured I needed some glowing thumbsticks for the ultimate of bling. So far I've been driving them and the home button off of the controller analogue light connections (because...it's there) but would like to know if anyone thinks these tiny LED lights would be a problem. I figured 3.5v off of the PS2 board would probably be just a bit too much, and didn't like the layout with a voltage divider. I figure they draw bugger all so hope I'll get away with it.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Well these light up sticks seemed to be such a good idea. What I couldn't pick from looking at them is the shafts that they push down on go fractionally deeper than the Wii U ones and they're a PITA to operate with. One photo and now I'm pulling them back out. That was fun.

England Buckingham Palace with a fake tash
Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
i like it i like the black look. the screen looks in size and good picture just dont try looking for the triangle or x button on the pad. very nice outcome so far. i dont know much but i like it. the parts in it look like a jumble sale but you can work with it.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Thanks! I'm really happy with the outcome and it plays well, the insides were ordered until things started to bind then they got shuffled to fit. Oh - and I have been looking for ways to put the PS2 buttons on it because of course I have! :XD:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I'm awaiting a smart charging board to arrive for the batteries so that's delaying things, but at the moment I'm putting strategic little bits of "speaker cover metal" around the large holes in the bottom (photo later) but I sincerly want to get this project finished soon as it's starting to eat a fine hole out of life!

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Agreed - I had been thinking about them for a while before grabbing them and doing all of the terribly fiddly stuff of pulling the unit apart and installing them. I have cut up a bit of "speaker grill" and made some hole covers for the bottom of the unit which looks suitably cool although typically I can't get the photos onto my computer at the moment. I've a sneaking suspicion that this might just be my last PS2 portable I make because I really like it!

England Buckingham Palace with a fake tash
Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
Talk about hardware. I was thinking that if its to compact or out of space you could use your 3d printer but that just is defeating the point of it. I'm sure the admins like this and member's. Very creative and skilled.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I might actually use the 3D printer to make something for the external battery case which I'm planning to mount on the back of it - but am still waiting on the smart chargers. I don't think that'd defeat the idea as the PS2 is for the better part inside the Wii U?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Ok - got some more photos as I've finally finished up the main handheld (the battery charging circuits just arrived also, so that'll be next).

So I had some leftover "speaker cover metal stuff". I'm sure it's got a name, but I don't know what it was, I just figured it'd look cool filling in the gaps

Then my volume control decided to pop out. It actually just wouldn't stay in place, so I contrived another cut out of another broken audio amp that I had lying around (these boards really don't work!). This was tricky, and I've come to hate micro-forming. Fortunately there's a screw-post that I can exploit to anchor it. The soldering was typically tricky and I was once again left wondering why we've only got two hands - I mean insects have six limbs and make up a third of all species on earth, so an extra set of arms doesn't seem like a big ask for any deity out there.