Worklog pengy's PS2p worklog

pengy

Figured I'd get this going while I wait for some more parts. This handheld will be built in an SL68p. I intend to do a folding top panel, DS style, with a 5" Dalian screen mounted as 3.5" is a little too small imo for ideal play on a ps2. Since there will be no screen in the bottom half, I should have room for a 6400mAh 7.4v LiPo pack. I'm gonna use freemcboot and openps2loader to load games off a 128gb USB flash drive, so no DD. Now for a few pictures of what I got done last night while I wait for the rest of the junk to come in the mail.

PSA the camera on my phone is broken so everything's slightly blurry, lol

Little controller modules I built. These will flush mount on the face of the case so I won't have to use any filler to make them look nice.

79001 motherboard awaiting further destruction and the backside of the controller boards with the common wired in.

Here you can see part of how PS2 controllers must be wired up. You have to wire a 20k-27k resistor parallel to each button aside from start select and analog buttons. Those three buttons actually use V as their common anyways. There will be a 7.8k or 10k pullup resistor from the main common to V. I'll get into that a little more once it's wired in.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
PS2 in an sl68... now this I will be certainly following! This will require a good amount of trimming if I recall, more than anyone has ventured for PS2.

And for the controller, there are 3rd party ones that use a common ground. I always found them easier to work with rather the official controllers.

pengy

I should clarify, the board will stick up out of the top of the case by about 1/2", similar to the way n64 cart slots stick out of the sl68. I believe it is nearly impossible to trim the 79001 to 4". Sonys boards are so densely packed with stuff that I think really the only thing we can trim is ground planes and the little usb leg :(

Last edited:

pengy

Little bit of progress this morning. Desoldered all the ports, trimmed off most of what I need to, and relocated the FMCB card. I also played around with FMCB and OPL and got all of my games working so that's good. Can't wait to make some more progress, Just need to hack off that usb corner and wait for my case to come and then the meat and potatoes can begin.

pengy

Poor motherboard being too long and all :(

Cases came. Now that's progress!

Getting somewhere.

PS4 nubs on 3ds sliders <3

Tomorrow I hope to get the mobo mounted and batteries wired, then get the controller hooked up and try it out.

pengy

Little mockup for y'all

Gotta love kynar wire

Definitely my best controller wiring ever. The empty space in the middle is for batteries. More progress to come

pengy

Idc how little space I have, good shoulder buttons are essential!

Tight fit all around

DEM SHOULDERS

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I actually love this.

pengy

Thanks SS B| I've been working on power and PnC wiring and a custom Ethernet hookup so this can actually hook to a computer to run games off network as well. USB loading is good but cutscenes are sometimes choppy is all. This way, when I'm at home, all I do is plug in one cable that contains both the charger and the Ethernet wiring and I'll be able to load games off my home network and have smooth RGB video :)

pengy

So much wiring!! But everything works so far. Might get to shut this thing tonight, just waiting on the screen still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
This is wonderful but the visible motherboard hurts my heart in a way usually reserved for looking at rescue dogs on Facebook that I can't have. Nothin' you could do really but lemme design you a 3D printed cover or something.

pengy

I'm gonna cover it up with some plastic later. I actually have some very thin plastic with a texture that matches polycase cases. Should look fine. Also, when the top is open, you won't be able to see it :p

pengy

It's starting to come together :)

Gotta figure out some sweet RGB video, audio and batteries and it's good to GO

pengy

So, for some reason I thought the IBM cooler intakes from one side and blows out the other. Now I see that it intakes from the top. It's still in the mail but I don't think there will be enough clearance to get decent airflow from that. I'm thinking there might end up being 3-4 mm clearance between the battery and that fan, max. Idk if that's enough to get decent airflow. Not that the ps2 gets that hot, but still. Does anyone know of a heat sink that works the way I said? Or maybe a fan shaped like a regular pc fan that's less than 1cm thick that I could mount on the side of the case in the free space next to the mobo?

Also thanks guys :3

Last edited:

pengy

Getting the front panel set up. Never got RGB working :(

Kinda sucks working on a trifold portable xD in the back right you can see the RC voltage buzzer I intend to mount inside to indicate low battery. They're cheap, adjustable, and pretty dang easy to wire. I will see how well it works for our use case.

Last edited by a moderator:

pengy

So many wires!!!!

Back panel

BOOM!!!!

Nearly there! Just needs a cover over the exposed board in the back. I think this might be the smallest ps2p ever, though by volume it might be a close race between this and the ag-85 based units gman made. However, I did add literally 50% to the volume by choosing to go with a large screen on a flip top. I could've done a 3.5" and halved the battery life and it would be truly tiny for a ps2. But I'm satisfied!

That being said, if I was going to do it again, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of the top screen. It took me too many tries to close this thing with wires going friggen everywhere! I'll finish it up soon and post a finished project thread.

This thing might be for sale at some point after some mad stress testing so I can fund my next project.