pengy

Wait the wire gauge of USB data lines matters?? I'm using fuckin kynar LOL

Hold up let me see if I can find something thicker

pengy

I tried some wire that looked like about 22-24 and no change :(

Noah

retired
Portables
Plug in the drive to a computer. Make sure you can copy data to and from it. I found that when I switched by +/- lines it screwed something in the drive up and basically made it go to shit and be unusable.

pengy

Noah - just tried. drive is working fine on the computer :(

Should i try using the second usb port connections instead? Would that work?

I accidentally ripped the "Cm1" or was it cm2 one or the other component off the board so ive had the usb data lines connected to the vias right by there

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
When I built the Wii Micro, the USB port was located a relatively far distance from the vias and it wasn't working for me. I ended up using shielded wires on the usb data and that solved it. They say twisting the wires together for the USB data does the same thing. Also it doesn't hurt to use thicker wire than kynar for the 5v and ground.

pengy

The wires here are maybe 4-5", do you think that is long enough to warrant concern? And yeah the power wires are probably 24awg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The wires here are maybe 4-5", do you think that is long enough to warrant concern? And yeah the power wires are probably 24awg
That is longer than I normally use. You could try shortening and twisting them together.

pengy

Alright I shortened them to as short as they could be which is about 3 inches and twisted the, together and same result.... pics to follow

pengy

Anyone see any problems here??? You can't see the 5v connections very well but + is on the left and - is on the right.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Check for continuity between your wires and the vias (on the other side), something may not be getting through. Also check to see if they are grounded with nothing in the port. You may have to get rid of the DA7 and DA9 chips, they look a little fucked

pengy

Continuity checks good and there are no shorts to ground.

Are da7 and da9 the chips above cm1 and cm2? If so they aren't fucked up, the whole area is just messy because I hotglued the original connections down before I tested things and found it didn't work. Should I try removing them anyways?? Are they doing anything since I wired straight to vias?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
They're there for ESD protection. If they were messed up at any point in time they would short the data lines to ground.

pengy

What I think is interesting is that if I boot with no USB it goes to a black screen, so it must know the flash drive is there as it's causing it to boot to the no config message. What should be contained in the flash drive if I open it up on the computer?