Question Painting

Pepano

I applied my last coat of primer on my case and sanded it off. Its really smooth. I about to apply the paint. So can anyone give me steps or tips for spraypainting. I also have another question
-I’m adding a drawing on the back. Am I able to sketch with pencil, add marker, then erase the pencil marks, or will that damage the paint?
-if I add a design to the back, do I have to add another coat of clear coat or no.
That’s all the questions I have.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
For the spray painting, many thin even coats, each allowed to dry properly according to the instructions on the can before the next coat. You don't want it thick enough to form runs. Give the finished paint a good few days to cure before doing clear coat. And for the love of Ashen don't try painting when it's raining. You want a nice dry day.

If the paint is fully dry and cured, you should be able to gently erase a thin set of pencil lines. If you're going to do decals or drawing, do it before clear coating. Just make sure the marker you're using won't eat the paint over time.

Pepano

For the spray painting, many thin even coats, each allowed to dry properly according to the instructions on the can before the next coat. You don't want it thick enough to form runs. Give the finished paint a good few days to cure before doing clear coat. And for the love of Ashen don't try painting when it's raining. You want a nice dry day.

If the paint is fully dry and cured, you should be able to gently erase a thin set of pencil lines. If you're going to do decals or drawing, do it before clear coating. Just make sure the marker you're using won't eat the paint over time.
How do I know if it’s fully cured?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
How do I know if it’s fully cured?
A fingernail and moderate pressure won't scratch it. The exact time varies by the can, but 4 days works for me as rule of thumb.

Pepano

A fingernail and moderate pressure won't scratch it. The exact time varies by the can, but 4 days works for me as rule of thumb.
upload_2020-3-25_22-12-59.jpeg
This is the one I use. It states drying time is 20 minutes. I do 40 minutes.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Those "dry to the touch" quickly, so you can put additional coats on after that time, but wait a few days for the paint to fully dry/cure once you have your coats of color on, then do the clear coat, and let that fully cure for a few days as well.

The most important part of spray painting is the actual spray painter that you will buy rather than the quality of the paint itself. Unfortunately, I struggled with the cheap spray painter that I bought while the brand paint was of high quality. Trying to save other people from doing the same mistake I found really important to share with some of you here a decent and well-working best spray paint that you can easily combine with a great spray painter. Let me know of some of you guys used a similar machine before.

Last edited: