Question overriding the necessity of a CD drive

while i am very excited to start my portable journey i do actually have a question that isnt directly related to it.

for a non portable setup i am actually looking into how to override the the necessity of a CD drive being installed to i have the room to internally mount an SSD for a cleaner look. i have tried google and i have tried the search button on this forum with no luck, can someone shed some light on this for me?

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Do you mean an internal ssd instead of or along side of a disc drive? As far as I know there is no way to mount any other type of storage to the disc drive connection...
Otherwise, an entirely internal ssd would have to be converted to usb and soldered to one of the usb ports, so you're really just better off with plugging in a low profile flash drive, like these.

I am looking to remove the CD drive to create more room for the 1TB Ssd to be installed and yes solder in the usb connection.
only thing I'm worried about is how to delete the CD drive and maintain use of my wii motion remote.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Using something like BBLoader will remove the need for the disc drive, and does not affect your ability to use your wii mote with the wii. after you disassemble the wii and remove the disc drive, your best bet would probably be to design some sort of bracket to hold the ssd and mount to where the disc drive was, and then 3D print. If you're not a fan of BBLoader, you could always go the other route and do all the homebrewing and cIOS installation yourself to use a different front end like USB Loader GX or WiiFlow.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Alternatively, you only need the little PCB part of the disk drive for a stock Wii to not shit itself. You can unscrew it and cut the wires to the motors and diode, takes up less space that way

awesome feedback guys! and yes I'm already running usb GX and I love it. I did load up BB and I'm not having the best of luck. I actually did work perfectly however the menu in homebrew is upside down lol

on the subject though I use the information given to me and move on with my project

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The Homebrew Channel being upside down is normal, a side effect of the modified IOS modules that allows BBLoader to function correctly