Solved Over trimmed 6 layer board

Ollie

After doing a few raspberry pi projects in my free time, I thought that a may be capable of making a Wii portable.

So far my experience has been ok, I rewired U10 fairly easily and went to go and trim my motherboard and... Disaster!

I must have slipped a little cause I over trimmed on the top part of the board (above and to the right of the GPU.

I don't think it's much of an issue, but before I spend $65 on a RVL power chip I just wanted to make sure my Wii will still work.

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Jeez what did you use to trim that board? Also, you should be using a 4 layer for a portable.

EDIT: based on the pictures this board is dead, and not even from the part where you think it went wrong. The whole top (from the second picture) is way too low. You cut through the NAND traces.

Ollie

Jeez what did you use to trim that board? Also, you should be using a 4 layer for a portable.

EDIT: based on the pictures this board is dead, and not even from the part where you think it went wrong. The whole top (from the second picture) is way too low. You cut through the NAND traces.
damn. shame cause i was really excited to make a portable. o well.

Portables
Gamecube has a handle, right?
One trick when trimming is to trim outside the trim lines, and then sand into the lines. It helps mitigate damage from a slipped cutting tool.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
If it makes you feel better, 6 layer boards are pretty much worthless for portables. Additionally, a Wii is pretty much the cheapest part of the project. You can pick up a 4 layer board on eBay for around 15 dollars.

Seems like you need a bit more practice too. There is no way that u10 relocation would work with that wire.

Ollie

If it makes you feel better, 6 layer boards are pretty much worthless for portables. Additionally, a Wii is pretty much the cheapest part of the project. You can pick up a 4 layer board on eBay for around 15 dollars.

Seems like you need a bit more practice too. There is no way that u10 relocation would work with that wire.
im in the UK so its a bit more expensive, but to be honest, i think ill wait.

i saw shanks video on his piiwii pocket and immediately wanted something similar, so rushed out to make one.

i definitely need much more practice before i even come close to being able to make a 4 layer or even a 6 layer portable. some of the soldering and cutting is just to hard for me at the moment.

i wont give up though, ill probably try and so some other projects and come back to this when i feel at a better skill level.

i have so much nostalgia for some Wii and gc games, but i guess dolphin emu will have to suffice for now!!

PS. i just found an old ds lite in my drawer so ill probably make a game boy macro next :)

thanks for the help though

:)

I'm also doing a 6-layer. I have a question about that 4th photo. It seems that an IC at the bottom was cut in half, and there are still components around it which seem useless here (and definitely useless in the 4 layer trim). Should that IC and the components around it be removed?