Original Xbox?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but has anyone ever tried making an original Xbox portable? I see many consoles cut down over time, but nothing ever seems to happen for the system outside one image I've seen floating about.

Probably documentation on it is lax to say the least, but was just curious.

It is definitely possible to make an original xbox portable. But the power consumption is so much that you couldnt put any batteries in it.

I think those create a lot of heat as well. So, the cooling system would have to be very well designed.

I am not going to say its impossible, but it is definitely a challenge.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The original Xbox is essentially a custom windows desktop, and unfortunately there's not much that can be trimmed (at least, without serious rewiring work). It does use a lot of power and produces a good amount of heat, so anything made with it will be rather unwieldy and will not last long on battery.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The original xbox motherboard is enormous and has complex BGA and and quad flat pack chips all over it.

These chips are all necessary for the xbox to function. To trim it, these chips would need to be rewired and relocated. Even if they were to be rewired by hand, chances are the lines are very sensitive to interference and trace length. A completely new circuit board would need to be made, which is an insane amount of work for a board this complex, especially without the original datasheets. Assuming you have all of that done, the power consumption is so high that you couldn't run it on batteries.

Without all of that insanity, the best you are going to get is a console that is this sized and doesn't have batteries. This is why xbox portables are not a popular choice.
18s41n46d3349jpg.jpg

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
The original xbox motherboard is enormous and has complex BGA and and quad flat pack chips all over it.
I appreciate those links. Without them I would have pulled an Andy Dwyer at-this-point-I’m-too-afraid-to-ask.