Origin Stories

Portables
3/4
Mine I thought would be a cool band name but the other band members didn't care for it... thought it sounded too much like Destiny's Child. So I kept it, own the .Com of it and decided that anything I created or recorded would be labeled as by "Miserieschild" until it went into a project that my current band was doing.

Plus, I thought it was a cool name and it described my childhood/life pretty well so there that too. :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Childhood nickname, came from a TV show I watched as a kid. My only other screen name is apparently too hard for people to pronounce so I just stick with this one on forums

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Long time ago I was AfterShock. First internet pal was named DarkSlayer. Ended up becoming ShockSlayer, kept the name when I joined BenHeck and Youtube. That's where it stopped being a username and became who I really am. ModRetro's where I became The Goddamn ShockSlayer.

One time I had to explain to my dad why I was the Goddamn ShockSlayer. That was a pretty good meme.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I am a security analyst for a company out west where I do web application pentesting, network security, and all the usual hacker stuff. One day this past year, I inadvertently took down the company's website for 30 minutes costing them 170,000 dollars. Some of the people there gave me the name: Chaos Monkey after a piece of software that Netflix uses. (The software will randomly shutdown or break a piece of their network, forcing them to fix it. This is to train them and to make their infrastructure better. If you want more info about it, google it.) I was first getting into portablizing at the time and I signed up for an account on this website just to lurk. After I realized what an amazing community this is and decided that I want to be a contributing member, I decided that the name chaos monkey sounds kinda lame, so I changed it to Chaos.

To be honest, I've actually wanted to change it to Canfood. (I lived in Malaysia for a couple of years and nobody could pronounce my last name, so they always called me Canfood and it's been a nickname I've used ever since.) But since I've been known so long as Chaos, I'd figured I would wait for a while.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I made up some stupid gibberish in high school but hung onto it because it made a half decent email address which I knew wouldn't already be taken. My username is an abbreviated form of said gibberish. And again, I continue using it because chances are slim it's ever in use by anyone else.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I made up some stupid gibberish in high school but hung onto it because it made a half decent email address which I knew wouldn't already be taken. My username is an abbreviated form of said gibberish. And again, I continue using it because chances are slim it's ever in use by anyone else.
This is honestly the best story I've seen yet.

Herma

I was like 12 and doing an assignment on Greek Mythology and thought the name sounded cool. It stuck as a username. Herma is considerably better than the full Hermaphroditus, so I prefer using that in places where I'm known as Herma.

I also go by athf226, which was my first online name when I was like 9 or 10 and making an adultswim.com account for the forums. I thought it would really cool and show how much of a fan I was if I named my account ATHF, but that was taken. So I went with athf226 because it was a suggested alternative.

and Hippocoon(s). I would be Hippocoon more places, but some band decided to use that name. I actually have the snapchat Hippocoon, so the band had to have a different snapchat. They also added me on Snapchat because I have their band name. The story behind that is I was embarrassed of Hermaphroditus, but wanted to keep a username with an H related to Greek mythology. Hippocoon was some king or some shit, idk.