Worklog One of the gWii's, with modifications

Hi there,

After log putting of the creation of this log, partially due to shame and laziness I am finally creating one.

This project started with the a video showcasing the Wii SP. Since I saw that I fell in love with portable consoles. They are just perfect, the community is awesome, the consoles are awesome and the learning opportunities are awesome.
I those to go for a modified gWii, the main reason for this was the fact that it would safe a lot of time not having to design a whole new Wii and the gWii just looks awesome.
There are a couple of features that are tested and fully working on the table. For most of them the 3d model is not done jet. These features are:
  • A open source BMS for plug and play charging and overall niceness
  • A 16:9 screen
  • "normal" (non Nintendo) ABXY buttons
  • "normal" (non Nintendo) Joysticks
  • A Wii controller DPAD
  • A original Wii adapter as charger
  • A PAM8403 for headphones
I also have a couple of features plan but they are not yet done or completely not implemented:
  • Bluetooth audio
  • Multiplayer via a dongle or Bluetooth
Next to that I also have a couple features that I have been thinking about but are probably not realistic:
  • A build in Raspberry pi for more retro games
  • A connect that can interconnect the consoles so that, if my friends have a portable wii to, we can have a multiplayer experience.

The stuff that is already done:
The 3d model
hob1.PNG

hob2.PNG

The internal stuff that is done:
  • The screen part is fully working, the driver board is also modded so that there is no voltage regulation internally.
  • A Wii is trimmed with a OMGWTF trim
  • I bought a BMS from the store (my own attempt failed miserably)
  • I have a cut up Wii controller which can be used as a PCB for holding the DPAD in place
  • A GC+ is also made and soldered

Last edited by a moderator:
Portables
Lit! I've heard the G-Wii is the most comfortable portable. Also, the Wii can run many emulators on it so you probably wouldn't need a raspberry pi. Keep the posts coming! Also also, make sure the gc+ is programmed with a pickit, as i never knew those existed.

I decided to start over again with my modifications to the gWii case. The CAD skills I had/have aren't good enough for the modifications I tried to make. I decided to drop the idea of using non Nintendo joysticks and ABXY buttons. I also decided to drop stop my work on adding bluetooth and the multiplayer dongle.

After doing all the CAD work I 3d printed my gWii and the painted it. Now I am building everything into it.
Here is a pic of a successful boot with the most crucial components in place.

I really hope that I will finish this project!

The delivery time from china is really long and I am really want to build my Wii. I haven't bought the audio to Bluetooth jet because I was planning on using one from my local dollar store but that one tuned out to have a terrible ground loop-back if I ran it without the battery. I will at it later maybe.