Question OMGWTF trim, how is it even possible

Title, out of curiosity, I find it incredible

I mean if the wii doesn't need all these components, why does nintendo put them in the first place?

I know the regulators can be removed because we replace them, but what about every little component we dont relocate? I don't get how this is possible.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Well, if you look at what is removed, you can see that a lot of it is stuff that we either don't use or choose to sacrifice for convenience or size constraints.

For example, there are the components and plugs for the disc drive which we don't use at all. Wifi has been patched out, so that's not necessary. All of the ports are removed and replaced with wires, and the border of the wii is just ground that can be removed. We don't need anything on the front of the wii, and we don't have to have GC ports or memory card slots. Then there are the parts that we can choose to relocate or not use, like the MX chip and bluetooth.

We aren't so much removing a bunch of unneccesary stuff as giving up nonessentials like Wifi and rearranging the rest to be a different shape.

Thanks for your answers, I have another question: some of the little components, I hear they make sure the wii doesn't get damaged in case of static shocks by example on the controller ports. In the trimming guide it mentions to solder after one of these component to protect the usb data lines, so I wonder, is there something to be careful about for the other ports like the GameCube ports, audio and video etc? Maybe we can add other safety components to replace the missing ones, if there is some missing?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
It's really not necessary. Just read the guide carefully and your build will be fine :) Nintendo built the wii to withstand small children and nuclear apocalypses. If you're building a portable, it's a pretty safe bet that you're not going to let your two year old poke their pb&j in through the gc ports.