Worklog O-Wii First benge portable wii

Noah

retired
Portables
Damn, this is amazing. Looks great both inside and out, wonderful job!

Really awesome build, especially for a first!

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Thank you for your nice comments @Gman @Noah @Al3x Portugal :)
This is my first build but I don't think it will be the last (it's addictive) ;)

I think I will try to make several O-Wii, I will of course review the few errors and I might sell some if there are people who might be interested.

I have a small problem for gameboy games the video output seems not to be adapted to my screen it puts me out of bounds (Hors limite in french) :
20200908_144731.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe your screen can't support 240p in VGA? Looks great and super clean! How is the sound quality from the uamp and MacBook speakers?

Benge

Portables
Ah I didn't know it was 240p, maybe my screen doesn't support it but I still find it weird it supports 480p well.
Macbook speaker sound with U-amp is super clean, I think it's much better than nintendo ds speakers or other small speakers !

EDIT : It work when I set to YES "Force Progressive"

Maybe your screen can't support 240p in VGA? Looks great and super clean! How is the sound quality from the uamp and MacBook speakers?

Last edited:

Benge

Portables
Since I finished my first O-Wii I thought of several improvements I could make
So I decided to made a V1.2 of my O-Wii, here is what I added/modified :

- Some little improvement for case :
hole size adjusment, modification of the hole for cooling, rounding of the air outlet.
before After case modifs.jpg

- I added a Z2 button (for use as a shake button) :
20200926_181806 (2).jpg

20200926_181125.jpg

I have changed the cheap PD activator by a better the ZY12PDN, and added a reset button (nice new feature ) :
20200926_181221.jpg

20200926_182434.jpg

And the last modification I made was that I made squishy tacts holder, but I don't like it at all, it doesn't look clean :\

The big improvement :
So to solve this problem I decided to try again to make custom pcbs with pad adapted to the NDS lite button.
This time I took all the pad measurements on an NDS lite with a digital caliper, and I created Eagle libraries.
Screen-O-Wii-CustomGCABXYpad.png
LRUDCustomPcb.png

I wanted to remove as much wire as possible and make it easy to install so I integrated the GC + 2.0 above as well as connectors for the joysticks and a connector to put a flat cable that will connect the right side and the left side.
Moreover I took the opportunity to add the start button on the pcb.
Also I modified the programmer header so that they are like on the U-Amp or on the Wii-PMS, so we can use the same :D
This time I wouldn't make the mistake of leaving the surface finish in HASL, so i ordered them from OSH parks because it is ENIG surface finish.

So this is what they should look like, very eager to receive them to test them, and @KaitoTV too I imagine ;)
Plus it's cool because you can use them even for smaller portable wii like with 4 or 5 inch screens.

ScreenCustomPCBsBEnge.png
LRUDCustomPCBsBenge.png

This is so good! I'm planning to build one myself, but I'm simply copying the Louii design so not as grandiose (no disrespect to Ginger, as the Louii is my favourite portable I've seen, what I mean is that me copying somebody elses design as opposed to making my own is not as cool). I've been having trouble pinning down all the tools I will need for the project, would you provide a list of yours? From what I've gathered; I'll need (Smd soldering station (I'm getting the hakko fx88d), rosin core solder spool, wire strippers, cutters, pliers, an old toothbrush, helping hand, glue, flux pen, soldering wick, high-grit sandpaper, a diamond cutting disc for my dremmel, and magnet wire). Anyways, great job!

Benge

Portables
I have finished the YouTube Video of the making of my O-Wii :

I plan to do english subtitles soon !

And her it is the piece you need to make it : I will post the 3d files as soon as I have tested and implemented the last modifications (Custom NDS pad PCB with GC+ 2.0 on it)
I'm still waiting the ribbon cable to complete and test it !

Noah

retired
Portables
Watched through the video with auto-translated subtitles so I could kind of get an idea of what you were saying but man, you did an awesome job! Great explanations and great showcase of the process of assembling the PCBs yourself. Can't wait to see what you plan on doing next!

Really nice wii, it is really thin and well-thought.
For the issue with gamecubes games, I guess the issue is that you have an PAL version of the rom and the progressive mode only works with NTSC roms.

Benge

Portables
Thank you @Noah, for the next I think to build a PS2 Portable ... but maybe for the 2021 contest, or a very tiny portable Wii like the GCii Pocket with Omega trim, and many other awesome project ;)
@Emetsys Thank you very much I hadn't thought of that !
I have to try to put games in NTSC to see if it work.

In my projects I always try to optimize the design to have something as miniaturized as possible,
I think I have succeeded with this portable Wii and its large 7-inch screen.

Hi, you picked my curiosity with your question regarding the LR button, and I wounder how yours feel like?

Benge

Portables
@ohkin86 Thank you very much <3, this is exactly what I was looking for ! I had tried to do some but failed to do them !
It can be very good for making PS2 pads custom pcbs due to the analog button.

@Quakers Haha, com on to France !

@Emetsys The L R buttons that I used are dual tacts,
they are quite good but I think the passage from one button to the other is not distinct enough to the touch.
The link if you want : https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AkTxvc

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
great work benge, the portable looks amazing and the video is great as well! i can’t wait to see what you’re making next.

Benge

Portables
I haven't told you about it yet, but I received my custom NDS button pad with GC + 2.0 PCB that I made.
I finally received the flat ribbon cable that I was waiting to show you the result with all the components that I have solder on it :
20201205_120402.jpg

20201205_120436.jpg
20201205_120429.jpg

20201205_120528.jpg

Here is the result :D
The pads work well (cool I was not wrong in my measurements!) ....
But the joysticks don't work at all :facepalm:

I looked if the connections were good, tested the connections, tested the joysticks (with my first O-Wii, and looking at their resistance between their pins.
Everything is good, and when I test the resistance (U / D, L / R GND, Vcc ...) on the circuit it is also good :?:
But it doesn't work :(
20201205_120204[1].jpg

I have tested to connect the connector directly to wire like I did in my first O-Wii (I think that by having solder the connectors it could have damaged them and created bad contacts between the joystick and the connector), and connect it directly to GC+ 2.0, I have tested so many time ... programmed the GC+ 2.0 again, change the GC+ 2.0 by another ... tested connection and resistance again and again. But the joysticks never wanted to work :angry:

I may have forgotten something or the connectors are not good (they work great with my O-Wii v1.0 so I find that weird).
If you have any ideas, of mistakes I could have made, please help me

Last edited: