Worklog NS Joycons red led mod

Portables
Those are bright as heck, will you be reducing the brightness or are your eyes immune to searing?
Lol I’ll be adding a resistor, but they’re not as bright in person, the camera makes them a bit brighter.

Portables
Need help, my 4th led keeps burning out even with resistor, I have soldered led to a 120ohm resistor and to 3.85v from joycon.

leds
1-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
2-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
3-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
4-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.5v

Any help would be great I already tried a higher ohm resistor with no luck.

Last edited:
Need help, my 4th led keeps burning out even with resistor, I have soldered led to a 120ohm resistor and to 3.85v from joycon.

leds
1-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
2-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
3-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.24v
4-input 3.85v- 120ohm resistor- output 2.5v

Any help would be great I already tried a higher ohm resistor with no luck.
You're using one resistor per LED?

Yes that’s what it said on a online resistor calculator
I see that your powering your LEDs from an external source; My guess is that your external source is causing the burnout or there's something you're missing in your calculation.

I did this same mod recently as you can see here:
Looks like we're using the same LEDs, so I can say with confidence that it's probably your power source. These LEDs should be able to handle the voltage output from the joycons.

Another video which helped (but had some inaccurate info):
The bluetooth status is not 1.8 volts but rather 0.56 volts.

Portables
I see that your powering your LEDs from an external source; My guess is that your external source is causing the burnout or there's something you're missing in your calculation.

I did this same mod recently as you can see here:
Looks like we're using the same LEDs, so I can say with confidence that it's probably your power source. These LEDs should be able to handle the voltage output from the joycons.

Another video which helped (but had some inaccurate info):
The bluetooth status is not 1.8 volts but rather 0.56 volts.
I’m powering the leds from joycon battery, but I just checked on another resistor calculator and it says to use a 12ohm resistor, it’s just the red leds I hate using these even on my psps. I’m powering from a 3.85v point on joycon.

I’m powering the leds from joycon battery, but I just checked on another resistor calculator and it says to use a 12ohm resistor, it’s just the red leds I hate using these even on my psps. I’m powering from a 3.85v point on joycon.
I'd bump it up to ~100ohms; Never hurts to start higher and go lower just to get the brightness you want.

Portables
I'd bump it up to ~100ohms; Never hurts to start higher and go lower just to get the brightness you want.
I had 120ohms each led and 1 led always burnt out, I calculated a resistor for wiring in parallel and it says 12ohms for all of them, also right now I have them with a 300ohm resistor each and it works fine ran them for 3 hours and they all work.

I had 120ohms each led and 1 led always burnt out, I calculated a resistor for wiring in parallel and it says 12ohms for all of them, also right now I have them with a 300ohm resistor each and it works fine ran them for 3 hours and they all work.
Are you sure that's not 12 ohms for all of them in series? Do you have a schematic or a picture of the current setup?

Portables
I’m using 0603 red smd leds, I’ve always used 20ma to calculate and they’ve always work until now with joycons,

so do you think it’s better to use 1 resistor per led?

I’m using 0603 red smd leds, I’ve always used 20ma to calculate and they’ve always work until now with joycons,

so do you think it’s better to use 1 resistor per led?
I just deleted my other reply since I realized the calculator on that website was giving me wrong information. In the parallel mode it automatically puts multiple LEDs on one resistor, which you don't want to do. In the other mode it automatically puts some LEDs in series and others in parallel, which is also not something that's desired.

So with LEDs, you don't want to run one resistor for multiple LEDs in parallel. What happens since each LED is slightly different is that too much power will flow into the weakest LED and it'll blow (as you've experienced).

You want to use one resistor per LED. I checked out that calculator and I don't think it's very good since it doesn't take this into account. In a perfect system where each LED is exactly the same it would work, but alas this is the real world and one resistor will probably blow an LED due to the reasoning above.

Calculating for one LED (assuming it's 20-30mA), you'd want minimum 120-180 ohms. Something like that per LED would be better. If you have the exact model number for the LED we could look at the datasheet to determine the proper mA for the calculation.

Just to give you more info, you can put the resistors before or after the LED in the schematic, as long as the resistor is present in the circuit then you're good to go.

Last edited:
Portables
Thanks for all the help, in the last pic I uploaded I’m using 120ohms per led and my 4th led still went out, right now I have it wired with a 300ohm and it works fine, do you think I should use a 180ohm or leave it how it is?

Thanks for all the help, in the last pic I uploaded I’m using 120ohms per led and my 4th led still went out, right now I have it wired with a 300ohm and it works fine, do you think I should use a 180ohm or leave it how it is?
If it's working now then I wouldn't mess with it :D

I'm wondering if your particular LEDs use even less mA than you expect, requiring a higher voltage drop to not blow up.

Portables
Thanks I want to finish these because I got some other ones to do lol, I got these leds on amazon and on the label it said 2-2.2v 20ma

Thanks I want to finish these because I got some other ones to do lol, I got these leds on amazon and on the label it said 2-2.2v 20ma
That makes sense then. You could probably also do 180 ohm but it would just be way brighter. If you like the brightness it's at, keep the 300 ohm.

Portables
That makes sense then. You could probably also do 180 ohm but it would just be way brighter. If you like the brightness it's at, keep the 300 ohm.
Yea I’ll keep them how they are for now, thank you so much for the info and all the help I appreciate it.