Not sure where to start with my project

Hi. I recently have seen many PS2 portable builds on internet and I decided that I should build one too. Easier said than done... Even though I have never owned a PS2 (Original Xbox owner) I know at least things.
1) PS2 should be the slim model SCPH-7900x
2) PS2 motherboard needs to be trimmed
3) Games cannot be loaded through the usb since it's too slow
4) Battery would have to be a pretty big one
Is there something I should definitely know? Also, basic description of what I want to build is a portable PS2 with screen and audio jack, micro usb battery charging?

Decide what features you want in your portable. Research their feasibility, and design from there. If you come up against roadblocks, it's easier for the community to answer more specific questions you may have. My personal recommendation for where to start:

You mentioned wanting a screen:

What size screen?
You'll obviously need controls on your portable. What would you like them to look like?
How do you want your case made? 3D printed? Frankencased? What you want it to look like has a major effect on this.

There are guides for batteries and charging on the site. I recommend reading the relevant articles in the "guides" section of the forum before you continue.

Oh, and of course: buy a PS2

Portables
1. Yes
2. Yes, sort of. Depends on your design. Big screen, lots of batteries? Probably not, smaller screen/lower power then probably yes. Share some sketches?
3. Depends what games you want to play on your portable, low FMV based games=fine, high FMV games like the RPGs, GTA games, etc- be a bit slow but it depends on your tolerance.
4. 2 18650 cells can give you between 2 and 4 hours of battery powered play (depends on the mah) so it's up to you but the more cells you add the bigger portable you have but longer game play.

Glad to have you here, glad to see you're doing research and glad to have you asking questions. Welcome to BitBuilt!