Solved Not sure if I want to use this tool

Is this the ONLY tool that allows me to run Wii tiles without a disc drive? I use USB Loader GX with my ROMs installed on my SD card and Gamecube titles stored on various 32 and 16 GB flash drives. Looking at Portablizemii, it looks like it REPLACES those tools, rather than simply shutting off a few Wii requirements. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this tool entirely, but can I still boot directly (and solely) into USB Loader GX? All I want to do is simply remove the requirement for the disc drive, nothing else, and I don't see any standalone tool or option in Priiloader to allow this (my disc drive is completely fried -- can't even launch pre-installed Mii Channel, et cetera).

I don't know if this tool removes the ability to use my SD card (which I need for storage reasons), nor if it allows me to swap out my USB drives (not enough space to store my games together). I don't know if I can use emulators of my choice, et cetera. There's just very little information about this tool altogether and I can't even find videos touring this tool. I'm completely clueless.

Help...?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
PortablizeMii doesn't remove any functionality from your Wii at all. It's an all inclusive system to be able to play games AFTER you have followed the Wii Trimming Guide. Cheese Installer is the application that you run in order to install specific IOS' that allow the Wii to boot after removing Bluetooth, Wifi, etc. If you do NOT trim your Wii, then you can set Priiloader (Comes with PM) to boot into USB Loader GX (I believe), or at the very least the homebrew channel. PM allows you to run everything off a USB drive instead of using an SD card. There are a ton of benefits to this, which I won't get into.

Wow. That sounds very promising. And no, I'm not looking to trim my Wii. I was rather excited about PortablizeMii's abilitiy to ditch the requirement for the disc drive. This seemed to be the only tool out there that possessed such a capability. I'm happy to know PortablizeMii doesn't remove any functionality. I just didn't didn't see any in-depth explanations about PortablizeMii or anything, and I was worried it might do something I would regret (I remember someone saying that SD card support was removed or something, I don't remember). Maybe I'm just an idiot and missed something in plain sight XD

One more thing, do I need to have my Wii updated to 4.3 before I do this? I'm currently using 4.2.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
No you don't need to upgrade it if your wii is already softmodded. Though it is recommended to upgrade it. PM and actually a bunch of other software allows you to not use the disk drive. Such as nintendont and sneek (which is what PM uses in its bundle)

Thanks! And, I never heard of Sneek before. Cool. I do use Nintendont to load my Gamecube titles through USB Loader GX. Although, Wii titles of any kind whatsoever are impossible. Wii-ware: No. Pre-installed software, like the Weather Channel, Mii-verse, Wii shop, et cetera: No. Wii games from USB: Nope. Always tells me an error occurred. And, I heard that the Wii required the disc drive for authorization or something for Wii titles to run. The person I got the Wii from tried to install a modchip (and failed). I think they fried the drive. I took it apart many times over the years checking for any disconnected ribbon cables, improper contacts, or remnants of a modchip. Nothing looked out of the ordinary.

I'm just stating this in case you're curious about my Wii. I think I'll update my Wii and re-mod it using PortablizeMii.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Wonderful, let us know how that goes. I'm going to mark this thread as solved :)

Uh oh.... I think something REALLY bad might have happened. The Wii System Menu stopped doing its whole existing thing; as in: It's gone. I can't load into it. PriiLoader won't load into it. Instead it tells me this:

DSCN0406.JPG

Before that, I noticed this when finished with the Cheese Installer:

DSCN0409.JPG

So yeah... This is only the beginning, too. Trying to load any Wii titles/Wii NAND channels on USB Loader GX just hung at a black screen, and Gamecube games, while yeah, they run, it seems like some of the GUI disappeared with the Wii System Menu:

DSCN0407.JPG

Kind of neat to know that it was using resources directly from the System Menu though. :p

Now, actually loading into postLoader, I'm confronted with an application that crashes 60% of the time I use it. It sometimes crashes before it even loads to the splash Portablize Mii intro with a black screen. It crashes a lot while just sitting idle or browsing my games (occasionally with looping earrape, or to a DSI error exception whatever), or while loading a Wii game it'll just hang at the "neek2obooter [1.1] is loading..." screen.

There is at least one good thing I noticed: It actually did wind up booting a Wii game at some point (New Super Mario Bros. Wii). This is literally the very first time I've ever seen my Wii running an actual Wii title. That was an amazing sight. I played it a bit, felt nice. Wiimote integration worked as it was supposed to. But, even then, it was a short-lived experience. When loading a new level or loading to the overworld, there's a fifty-fifty chance it'll just hang at a black screen.

Boot-up times are now at least 15-20 seconds -- very long wait time between powering up the Wii and getting into Homebrew, postLoader, and priiloader.

Overall, this has been a disaster (but not completely).

Before I head off to bed, I would like to state a more things about my Wii. When I first installed Homebrew on my Wii a few years back, I did notice that there was a frequent occurrence of DSI exception crashes with various pieces of Homebrew applications, with the exception of most emulators (not including Wii SX and Not64).

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
@Chaos y u do -.-

OK SO PortablizeMii does replace USB Loader GX and pretty much any other homebrew since they all require the disc drive for certain calls. PM does also require System Menu 4.3, since this version of priiloader looks for the system menu in a particular location, and each system update moves the system menu file around.

Since you were on 4.2, you system menu is probably either corrupted or just gone, and your flash drive is probably a little slow or formatted incorrectly. At this point you have two options, restore you system back to the way it was before PM, or repair your setup so that PM works correctly.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
..... crap. Sorry man for screwing this one up.

I do have PM working on 4.2 though,

Did you update it before you installed PM? If not, what version of Homebrew channel are you running? Did you update it to the latest one? Also do you have bootmii installed as an ios?

Oh! Looks like I got the Big Cheese himself (pun intended -- don't kill me)!

I'm not sure restoring is a possibility. I stupidly created a NAND-backup after using the cheese installer (I thought I did before... oops). I made sure by trying to recover the NAND, and yeah... I messed up there...

All my drives are formatted to FAT32 with 32KiB clusters. I updated to System Menu 4.3 just before re-modding with the tools provided on this site. I don't know what you mean by repairing the setup. I've tried installing with the cheese several more times to see if that would do anything. No change. I didn't see a repair option anywhere.

@Chaos The top-right of the screen in Homebrew says 1.1.2. And I have BootMii installed in boot2 (also, in Priiloader I have a 'BootMii IOS' option).

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Oh! Looks like I got the Big Cheese himself (pun intended -- don't kill me)!

I'm not sure restoring is a possibility. I stupidly created a NAND-backup after using the cheese installer (I thought I did before... oops). I made sure by trying to recover the NAND, and yeah... I messed up there...

All my drives are formatted to FAT32 with 32KiB clusters. I updated to System Menu 4.3 just before re-modding with the tools provided on this site. I don't know what you mean by repairing the setup. I've tried installing with the cheese several more times to see if that would do anything. No change. I didn't see a repair option anywhere.

@Chaos The top-right of the screen in Homebrew says 1.1.2. And I have BootMii installed in boot2 (also, in Priiloader I have a 'BootMii IOS' option).
Use http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger to make a clean NAND and install that :)

@Aurelio Wow... there are so many useful Homebrew tools for the Wii it makes my head spin. Gotta love the Homebrew community! :)

Thank you!

*Definitely a good thing the Wii's been around for over a decade*

Seems like the DLL files were taken down for that application. I'll see if I can hunt 'em down. somewhere Never mind, probably a bad idea to go fishing them individually. Someone has to have a package of them somewhere though.

Found a page that had an archive of the .dlls:
http://spawn.link/factory-reset-revirginizing-your-wii/

Last edited:
Alright. Wii's fully operational again (except for the disc drive -- obviously)! Thanks to everyone for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

I'll experiment with modding it again at my leisure. At least now I have a good backup. :)

Edit: Yep, the nostalgic "An error has occured..." message when trying to launch a Wii is still present. After all this, it's pretty much 100% confirmed it's the disc drive. Maybe one day I'll get a new drive off Amazon or something.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
If your wii is fully working now your nand should be clean kf any mods. You should be able to install portablizemii correctly now, as long as you install bootmii as ios. Since your nand is fully clean now there is no reason for it not to work. Also try a faster flash drive this time. Good luck

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
If your wii is fully working now your nand should be clean kf any mods. You should be able to install portablizemii correctly now, as long as you install bootmii as ios. Since your nand is fully clean now there is no reason for it not to work. Also try a faster flash drive this time. Good luck
This thread has been 'dead' for almost a month and has been marked as solved. Please do not bump dead threads.

BocuD

Portables
This thread has been 'dead' for almost a month and has been marked as solved. Please do not bump dead threads.
Oh sorry, didnt notice that ;)
Will check dates next time