Nold's Pad64

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
So without loosing much words.. My second portable, the "Pad64", is finally done!

The final specs:
- n64 pal "lite"-trim + RAM extention
- CNT-NUS Controller-Chip + n64-stick-converter & GC analogstick
- Frankencase with custom 3d-printed parts (you'll find here also)
- 5" 4:3 LCD @ composite
- 7.4v 5000mAh batteries
- NDS Lite Speakers (I'm really amazed how good they sound!)
- External ControllerPak-Slot
- active cooling with dreamcast fan @3.3v

In loving memory off...
... 4 Battery cells
... 2 BMS boards
... 1 controller board
... 1 n64 mainboard
(cause of death: Murphy's law... (mostly...))

Anyways! Here is my "little" beauty:
99_promo_xD.jpg

04_front.jpg
03_front.jpg

And a beautifull rear can also endear! ... (even if there are some scratches already & i drilled the fan-holes after printing... ^^)
00_back.jpg

01_back.jpg

02_bottom.jpg

A funny thing I just notices recently is, that it's has pretty much the size of the original n64 :D (need to get smaller! >.<)
10_vs_og_n64.jpg

11_vs_og_n64.jpg

My also PortaCube looks quite small against it :mrgreen:
20_vs_portacube.jpg

As said, I'll try to do some smaller portables in the future.. but i made so many mistakes again & learned a lot because of this.. :awesome: so it might be good to keep them a little bit bigger ATM ;)...

Next up will be my DreamPad! Can't wait to get started on that one..

Last edited:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Looks awesome! I love the shape of the case, the colors, and the twin buttons on each of the grips! Yeah, maybe it’s a bit big, but still much less wasted space than the internals of a stock 64. I’m looking forward to updates on your DreamPad!

BocuD

Portables
It turned out great! I like how the frankencasing looks so seamless. Also nice that you kept the original card and (rumble pak?) slots. I have to agree with the fact that it's really big, but that isn't a problem if it feels nice in the hand imo. Also, where are those nudes?:P
Nice that you got a gc stick in there, I hate those n64 sticks myself like probably everyone else on this planet.
Good luck with your DreamPad, looking forward to seeing that one in action!
Edit: just found pics of the internals in your worklog. Your wiring on the n64 board is really clean, especially the expansion pack relocation.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Thanks guys! :)

Nice that you got a gc stick in there, I hate those n64 sticks myself like probably everyone else on this planet.
Damn, playing with REAL sticks just feels sooooo good!

I’m looking forward to updates on your DreamPad!
Good luck with your DreamPad, looking forward to seeing that one in action!
Soon come! Case arrived today. But the screen still will need some days/weeks :( ... So i have at least a few portable-free days & and some time to enjoy gaming! ;-)

Portables
Great work! I've also looked through your worklog and agree that the wiring was done very efficiently/cleanly. I like the choice of location for the memory card slot, and that it's flush with the system. Also looking forward to the DreamPad!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Big portables deserve love too! Looks really good. How did you get the control stick to be that colour?

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Big portables deserve love too! Looks really good. How did you get the control stick to be that colour?
Thanks mate! The Stick is from a 3rd-party Gamecube controller, so it's just like it is... but yea, it fits just perfectly :D