Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy DMG RPi3 Handheld (ENTRY 4 HACK LIKE HECK)

nobble

AWWW SHIIIII-!
GET YOUR TOWELS READY, IT'S ABOUT TO GO DOWN!
retropiefutureboy4.png

( ͠° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FUTUREBOY.jpg

NOBBLE HAS STEPPED UP TO THE CHALLENGE!

Alright folks, Ben Heck doesn't give a hack anymore.

Now is the time for us in the modding community to RISE UP by blowing the minds of unknowingly innocent normies with our next level mods.
Luckily, I woke up to the notification the morning of the contest video, and without even brushing my teeth I got my camera out to film My Audition! I was the first person to enter and have been getting nothing but joy and thrill out of this contest so far! Thanks for all the support everyone!

I want to take a moment to thank a few individuals before going into detail of my build.
  • Ben Heck & Team - You are one smart cookie! I want to thank you for piquing my interest in electronics modding at such an early age. You helped me find a community that is very humble and appreciative of all the information and work done in Portablizing consoles. Thanks to Felix, Karen, and everyone else involved with the show and this contest!!!
  • Kitschbent LLC - For being my Official Sponsor for the contest and providing me with the Gameboy Shell and other items from your shop to help with my build! You are a great source for custom Gameboy parts. I really appreciate your interest and trust in my abilities!
  • Spencer Richardson - Thank you for helping me 3D print the parts needed for my build! I really appreciate going the extra mile for me! Spencer makes really cool 3D printed night lamps that are for sale in his Etsy Shop
  • ShockSlayer - Bro, you are ridiculously supportive and such a great meme. When ModRetro was blooming, you were such help and a big inspiration to my builds starting out when I was only a kid. Thanks for all the help getting me back into the community when I was just a lost piggy in the big city. I am glad to be here with everyone.
  • Madmorda - I really am glad to see others from the BitBuilt Forums really engaged in this contest and ready to mod! Good luck, your abilities are Crystal Clear, ShockSlayer can concur! Thanks for your support!
  • Fibbef - For help with a special scene in my video! Thank you so much for all your time and effort! You rock!!!
  • Portablizers, & Everyone else in the Community - Everyone who mods, matters. Lately I have gotten closer to a few of you fine individuals online and I want to thank YOU ALL for the support, help, friendly banter, amazing creations, and the gained insight from that to Be Excellent To Each Other.... AND PARTY ON DUDES!
  • VOTE FOR NOBBLE!
Alright! Moving forward..

My entry build is Officially Titled: Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy
futureboysketch.png

It is a portable emulation handheld resembling the well-known Gameboy with features NEVER BEFORE SEEN BY MANKIND! Based on the Raspberry Pi 3 and running a custom version of RetroPie from tweaks I made.

Case: The handheld case is a custom mold for a Nintendo Gameboy DMG made by Kitschbent. I will be modifying the insides to make it more roomy for the components.

Main board: I am using an almost fully stock Raspberry Pi 3 that will have a hat screen attached on top. The only modifications I will do is removing one set of USB ports for hard wiring components.

Screen(s): I am using a 3.5" HDMI touchscreen "hat" for main display. GPIO will control the touchscreen panel. ON TOP OF THAT I am adding in a pico projector you can switch to, that will illuminate gameplay onto any surface of your choosing. That will be housed inside a Shark MX cartridge made by GameShark. It was a modem cartridge for internet access and email on the gameboy. Service was called GB-Mail. I'm sure it was indeed terrible.. CUE THE MEMES.

Controls:
I will be using an Arduino Pro Micro that will be setup as a USB gamepad with a layout seen commonly on most controllers these days. Dual Analog thumbsticks and dual triggers along with the usual d-pad and ABXY, Start, Select. I need a few 3D printed parts to install the button wells and button supports with ease. *Thanks Spencer!

Audio:
The goal is to have a working stereo audio Amp connected to the Pi so that when I insert headphones into the jack, the audio cuts out and goes to headphone line. I may end up going with mono, time will tell.

Batteries/Power: I am using a 3.7v 7000mah Li-Po cell that will be connected to a portable battery bank BCM PCB to regulate power @ 5v 2.1A to power everything. Charge port will be a Micro USB jack, and battery life is expected to be around 3-6 hours.

Other Modifications & Features:
I will be adding Programmable NeoPixel RGB LEDs all over inside the case so you can hail a UFO from space. What is a Futureboy without some new age colorful tech? I will be either programming them from the Pi itself, or Arduino. I also have a silicone cover to finish off the build aesthetically. It slides snugly right over the case for added protection.

Check out my Instagram for all pictures and video clip samples on this project! I will update frequently!

I will post updates as I progress!

Attachments

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Whaaaaaat?! This is seriously awesome. I can't wait for more :D guess I know at least one person who will be beating me lol.

nobble

I'm glad you like my idea! Although, I can't even print my own case yet. I think that gives you advantage right there! + MADpaintskills.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
As much as I love where this is going, I also love random Gameboy crap so it makes my heart bleed to hear you’ll be chopping up that Shark MX.

I know, the service is dead and all. I’m just sad I don’t have one.

nobble

nobble

UPDATES!!!!

IMG_20180320_143229_748.jpg
My sponsorship package from Kitschbent arrived and I now have all Gameboy related parts to build with. I really have to thank Matt for the support on this build. He and I have been in contact for almost a year, getting things worked out for this exact moment. Hack Like Heck ended up coinciding with the timing of this.

IMG_20180320_145538_779.jpg
Spencer Richardson sent me all the 3D printed components I needed to use for mounting things inside the case. I wanted them to match as close to the case as possible since they are clear, and they really turned out awesome! This will keep things visually clean. Thanks again!

IMG_20180320_144049_563.jpg
Here are the main pieces, minus a few items I am waiting for in the mail. I also switch out the battery PCB with a better one.

IMG_20180320_144918_125.jpg
There's a new Pi in town! Looking pretty dapper in that HAT.

IMG_20180320_145037_338.jpg
Do you see what I see? Pico Projector is currently dismantled about to be fit for a new bod.

IMG_20180313_031132.jpg
The host.

IMG_20180320_150404_396.jpg
So it begins..

IMG_20180320_144412_312.jpg
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

IMG_20180320_201246_170.jpg
Okay, he is looking better after undergoing the first round of surgery. Good boy.

IMG_20180320_221021_623.jpg
Since I had to gut the case to fit everything inside, I ended up using epoxy to secure the back trigger button housing to the case. It seems very solid and will be getting a second application right before I close everything up.

I apologise for the lack of updates, I have been focusing on filming and going at my own pace for this contest. It has been a lot to take in, and I'm finally seeing some major progress after all the work I've put in so far. I was fighting for a good while to make everything fit inside without pushing on the case and warping it's shape. It is really a tight squeeze without removing much except one USB hub on the Pi 3. And the HDMI screen fits exactly edge to edge inside the case.

Currently, I am still waiting on some more RGB LEDs and the custom 3Ds caps for the PSP sticks. This boy is going to be so clear, not even UFOs will be able to track him without his lights on.

Time2Work.. I'm so AMPed! <3
IMG_20180320_150529_012.jpg

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I approve the use of puns :D I'm so excited for your build to be finished lol. It looks so cool

nobble

I got the new Gameboy camera! :P
IMG_20180321_171449_805.jpg

Edit:
IMG_20180322_025548_981.jpg
We have power!

IMG_20180322_070545_867.jpg
I love the red noodle..

Last edited:

nobble

Okay, the contest is coming to an end and I have been HACKING LIKE HECK to finish this up! I am in the home stretch, and though this work log is lacking frequent updates, you can follow me on Instagram

Also check out my GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER with tons of pics and video clips from this build!

nobble.gif

Just look at how awesome Matt Kitschbent's custom clear DMG case looks with neopixels inside illuminating it!

I am almost done getting everything wired up and securely fit inside the case. I had a little snafu with Amazon, but after many hours with customer service I am finally getting the last parts I ordered 2-day shipping and still aren't in hand. I have wasted a few days with this and have been editing my video in the meantime.
*Note to all: NEVER TRUST AMAZON WITH CC INFO. (In short, they charged me $49 instead of $9 and it overdrafted that account and made my phone's autopay bill not go through, then they stopped the delivery because of the payment issue on their part. OH BOY.)

But I did order a new soldering iron since I seemed to have ruined all of my tips during this hasty build! TS100 soon to be mine!

The final video is due April 2nd. I have much faith in this entry and feel it a top 10 prize winning project for sure! The video will testify.. #hack2thefuture #futureboy

I hope I can get the support from this forum and the community of all makers, modders, hackers, DIY-enthuseists alike to help vote for my entry upon time. I have had so much help and support so far from everyone in the BB community, and my official sponsor Kitschbent LLC. It would really be awesome if this project gets a community spotlight when the video is released. ;)

Anyways, thanks for checking out my build entry! I hope you enjoy what is to come of THE FUTURE (BOY)!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I hope I can get the support from this forum and the community of all makers, modders, hackers, DIY-enthuseists alike to help vote for my entry upon time. I have had so much help and support so far from everyone in the BB community, and my official sponsor Kitschbent LLC. It would really be awesome if this project gets a community spotlight when the video is released. ;)
Sorry my vote is for @ShockSlayer and I am going to ban anyone who does not vote for him.

nobble

The element14 Maker Film Festival will release all project build videos on April 4th. At that point, members will be able to begin voting for their favorite entry.

There are two ways to vote for your favorite video:

1. "Like" the document that features the builder's video
  2. Share the specific content on social media

While you only have the ability to "Like" a video once, you can share that same video as many times as you'd like across various social media platforms. Each "Like" and each "share" constitutes one vote apiece, so share your favorite builder's video as much as you can in order to rack up more votes and help him or her win the grand prize! Sharing on social media is a great way to expand your outreach and drum up excitement for your favorite video.

After voting closes on April 9th, we will tally up all of the "Likes" and shares for each video and determine the winners. A total of 10 winners will be announced on April 12th. The top five builders whose videos receive the most Community votes will join an additional five builders (including the grand prize winner) selected by the element14 team.

Tell me that doesn't say BOOST ALL OF THE TRUE BB ENTRIES!!!? ;)