Worklog Noah's GameBoy "Flash carts"

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I placed an order (ID 117) on 4/28 but the tracking hasn't updated since then. Was just wondering if it maybe got delayed?

Noah

retired
Portables
The last of the pre-orders were assembled before yours. So it'll be only a couple of days before it ships out.

I really don't want to be a bother, but I was wondering if I could get an update about my order.

Hylke

I really don't want to be a bother, but I was wondering if I could get an update about my order.
Me too, order ID 110, ordered april 9 when it was in stock. Still waiting. No replies on my emails and no communication why it is taking so long.

Noah

retired
Portables
Whenever I asked or wanted an update on my order I just PMed Noah directly. He was actually very prompt with response. Please also understand that this is a pre-order as he assembles them per order.

Although I am still waiting for mine to arrive if you want another update just ask him directly. He is very good about it.

Hylke

I did send all my mails to [email protected]. I replied to the Bitbuilt - Order update mails which says "Please reply to this email if you have any questions.". Apparently that doesn't work. I don't know why, but my email works fine. I will PM Noah directly then, emailing to [email protected] just doesn't work for me.

I do understand that this is a pre-order, no problem with that. But the communication isn't going well. I was told that my pre-order was going out in the week of april 24.
After a few weeks still no package, so I asked if there's is a way to track the shipment. I sent multiple emails to the right email address, I tried the contact page on the website. Finally I asked this via messages on Reddit. No reply on my question why It is taking so long, as I expected it being shipped in the week of april 24.
Soon after that a status update preparing for shipment on may 21.
Still don't know why it wasn't sent in the week on april 24. Now I got another mail with the tracking number I already have. But as emailing doesn't work, my problem is that the shipment appears to go back. The package arrived on the airport in The Netherlands last week, but now it is back in the United States. I have sent a PM.

Last edited:

Shugo

These look great and I really want one so I can play Pokemon GSC (plus hacks) with RTC and N64 compatibility.

However, I noticed the RTC/save battery is soldered in. Is there any chance these carts could be upgraded with a user-replaceable battery slot for those of us without the tools to solder in a new battery every few years? Some other carts have this (such as EverDrive-GB and the 64M Smart Card), and that feature would make these absolutely perfect to me.

Heck, if they're compatible and you're willing to do a custom, I could send in my old Smart Card to cannibalize its battery slot.

pikpol

Heey guys,

I am just starting with programming for gameboy.
Though I have some questions about the flasher.
Is it still available? As the shop says not in stock, but from this thread I understand that it has to be made by hand, so it will never be in stock?(unless because of a cancelled order or something?)
And second, I read that Joey's flasher could flash chinese bootlegs. Is that also possible with this flasher? As that would be a great option for some smaller games to put on some bootleg carts.
Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Also, in the store I can't select a label type for the flashcarts.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
Flasher will be available again shortly, waiting on parts for a new batch.

I've never tested this flasher with the Chinese bootlegs. If it can't flash them it's a software limitation rather than a hardware one. I'm currently writing new software that will allow those to be flashed and allow for slightly faster flashing times (I've also got a new flasher in the works that supports GBA so this one will be discontinued soon but still receive software support.)

pikpol

Flasher will be available again shortly, waiting on parts for a new batch.

I've never tested this flasher with the Chinese bootlegs. If it can't flash them it's a software limitation rather than a hardware one. I'm currently writing new software that will allow those to be flashed and allow for slightly faster flashing times (I've also got a new flasher in the works that supports GBA so this one will be discontinued soon but still receive software support.)
So the new one will support both GB(C) games as GBA games?
Can the 'old' ones maybe be updated with some parts?
Because I really want a flasher and I feel more connected to bitbuilt than to BennVenn. And yours is also much much cheaper(I'm a broke student FYI)
So I want to buy from here, but I think I'll wait for the new revision if the older won't be upgradable.
And I also have already a bootleg Pokémon Ruby(found out the hard way as a kid).
Thanks for the info so far and for your nice work :)

Jonas

@pikpol The one of BeenVenn isn't made with arduino, it's a proper cpu and noah's programmer can't program gba bootlegs but for gb bootlegs i don't know.

@Noah
Hello, i've installed a FM16W08 (64kbit version) FRAM chip in a cartridge (Wario land, super mario land 2 with an MBC1 chip).
I've uploaded a save file into it but when i load the game i get glitches then i found your post about pulling CE high but the game doesn't load or maybe i've done it wrong, a 10k resistor between CE from the chip and VCC of the cartridge ?
Should the CE pin from the chip be connected on the cartridge ?

Oh, can you print custom labels and sent them ? (Europe) If yes how much would it cost ?

Thanks

pikpol

@pikpol The one of BeenVenn isn't made with arduino, it's a proper cpu and noah's programmer can't program gba bootlegs but for gb bootlegs i don't know.

@Noah
Hello, i've installed a FM16W08 (64kbit version) FRAM chip in a cartridge (Wario land, super mario land 2 with an MBC1 chip).
I've uploaded a save file into it but when i load the game i get glitches then i found your post about pulling CE high but the game doesn't load or maybe i've done it wrong, a 10k resistor between CE from the chip and VCC of the cartridge ?

Oh, can you print custom labels and sent them ? (Europe) If yes how much would it cost ?

Thanks
I don't know what you mean with the arduino statement :)
But I meant that I want to wait for the newer revision because that one can flash bootleg GBA games and I already have a bootleg GBA game. And also, because I don't have to buy two flashers, but only one, which costs me less money ;)
But if the old revision could be updated somehow to support GBA, I would buy it immidiately :p

Jonas

I don't know what you mean with the arduino statement :)
But I meant that I want to wait for the newer revision because that one can flash bootleg GBA games and I already have a bootleg GBA game. And also, because I don't have to buy two flashers, but only one, which costs me less money ;)
But if the old revision could be updated somehow to support GBA, I would buy it immidiately :p

Well, flashing gba games is way different than flashing gb games. It will take time to make this.
The programmer is made with an Atmega chip and the one of BeenVeen is a proper cpu, that's why it cost 50$.

You want to program bootleg games there is a cheap solution but you need a computer with an integreated parallel port with Windows 2000 / XP.
If you have one then you need to make an xboo cable : a gba link cable and a parallel male connector then a software.

Noah

retired
Portables
You can easily program a microcontroller to do both. BennVenn is the only one who currently offers a solution that has all of the features, hence the $50 price tag. When others come to market he'll be forced to add more features or drop the price if the other product is of equal quality. He makes his with an FPGA. Both FPGAs and microcontrollers are "proper CPUs" as you say.

@pikpol
@Noah

Thanks
Yes the CE pin should be pulled high and connected to both the cartridge and the resistor. 10K is the correct value and should be connected to the 5V pin on the FRAM chip itself.

The MBC1 might be incompatible with the chip itself. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the amount of RAM each MBC can handle. The only one I've confirmed the chip to work with is the MBC5.

I can do custom labels. Shipping would probably be in just an envelope to save you money so it shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Send me a PM with the details of what you want and we can go from there.

Jonas

Thanks alot for your reply.

You can easily program a microcontroller to do both.
Nice, will you add it to your programmer ?

The MBC1 might be incompatible with the chip itself. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the amount of RAM each MBC can handle. The only one I've confirmed the chip to work with is the MBC5.
Well the game i've choosed had 64kbit of ram and the FM16W08 has 64kbit so it could be the mbc1 not supporting that chip or the FM16W08 doesn't work. I'm gonna solder the fram chip on another cartridge. (mbc5)

I can do custom labels. Shipping would probably be in just an envelope to save you money so it shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Send me a PM with the details of what you want and we can go from there.
Great, thanks. Will pm you when i will need some soon.