Question No VGA output on untrimmed Wii

Beans

Hi guys. Unfortunately I'm not getting any video out on my untrimmed Wii. I'm trying to do Aurelio's VGA mod. I enabled it in BBLoader already. I'm using AWG 38 magnet write for some of the lines due to having to solder to vias, and AWG 30 for soldering to pins.

20200719_225150.jpg

20200719_225157.jpg

20200719_225208.jpg

20200719_225210.jpg

My Wii turns on all right, the green power LED stays lit. But my screen says that there is no signal. I realize we see a thread or two just like this nearly day, but I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm no expert, but I think the issue might be with my soldering. I recognize it's not the best. But WOW is it difficult. I'm using a conical tip on a Weller WLC100, so you'd think it wouldn't be too bad... but it is

EDIT: For anyone who has the same issue in the future, sorry. I ended up just getting another second hand Wii after annihilating my AVE :/ Best of luck!

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
If the screen says no signal then it is likely an issue with H and V, VGA doesn't require the colour lines to "receive" the signal. As long as H and V are wired correctly you should at least get a black screen.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Have you shorted the mode pin to 3.3v? You need to do that to enable VGA.

Also I'm noticing a LOT of excess stripping on your video lines, especially the sync lines. Definitely cut back on that, you don't want any extra wire exposed past the point where solder is applied.

Also noticed a solder blob near DA2. Doesn't appear to be touching anything except mask, but wanted to make sure you're aware.

To add to GingerOfOz's comment, the conductor on the VSync pin looks like it could be making contact with pin 35 adjacent to it.

Last edited:

Beans

20200720_001017.jpg

20200720_001043.jpg

@Wesk I redid the sync wiring, unfortunately still nothing :/

@Ginger I missed that! I added a conductor. Doesn't work though just yet, but thanks for that :)

And I know it looks like Hsync is shorting to ground with that solder blob, but it's not.

Hi, do not have much to say, but have you tried to connect the screen to another vga thingy and your wii to another screen?
When I tried to do it, I got some issue, but in my case it was because I failed to do it in the soft side, but it should not happend with BBLoader I guess.

Beans

Hi, do not have much to say, but have you tried to connect the screen to another vga thingy and your wii to another screen?
When I tried to do it, I got some issue, but in my case it was because I failed to do it in the soft side, but it should not happend with BBLoader I guess.
Unfortunately I don't have another "thingy" (you mean a controller board). Other vga displays don't work either. :/ I've run out of troubleshooting ideas so far. I think I'll try the sync wiring once more. It'll kill my soul, but as Wesk said, I should at least be getting a black screen, not the "no signal" that I am now.

In your latest pic, R44 got knocked out of alignment and it's bridged with C57.

Also, on the AVE, inspect between pin 57 and 58. It's hard to make out for sure, but there might be a bridge between those two pins where the legs start to bend upward from the pads and into the chip.