Worklog Nintendo Swiitch V2.5 - BocuD's third Wii Portable

BocuD

Portables
wut
USB ports don't magically get smaller because they're surface mount lmao
Well this one has a bunch of unnecessary plastic under it, which won't be there in SMD form
anyways I replaced it already and it all fits now (yeah ik the USB port has been moved but that's cuz it was the only thick ish component still there, so now everything is even thinner (21mm)
upload_2018-11-20_1-21-36.png

BocuD

Portables
Well, its been a while since the last update..
I've at this point added all the battery charging / switching circuitry and I finished all audio stuff. I also pretty much redesigned the entire board to incorporate 4 layers now, as 2 layers just wouldn't do it. There is now an internal GND and Voltage layer so I can just pull anything from those instead of using random massive polygons. There is still some stuff I need to redo, since for example placement isn't for some components isn't correct yet; and some parts need to be replaced entirely (uhuh huge mosfet). The regulators have also been tweaked a bit. This is the battery section also some other stuff, and please ignore the logo I still have to (re)move it.
upload_2019-1-27_4-46-31.png

I also added some indicator LEDs for charging, power, battery level and as an indicator for for example brightness, as every led is controlled by the same mcu that drives the lcd backlight and audio amplifier.
upload_2019-1-27_4-58-13.png
upload_2019-1-27_4-58-33.png

Fan control is now a thing using the same mcu and an NTC (thermistor) which will be sandwiched between the CPU and heatsink. As for other stuff, I ordered a simple board to test the regulators I'm using. I'll probably do the same for the battery circuitry and maybe audio amplifier.
I've done a bunch of testing with a certain microSD card reader which I am definitely going to use in my portable as it works very well. I'm still thinking about wether or not I should make it removable or if I should just solder it to the board.. oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When it comes to the main board inside the portable, i only have to figure something out for a dual tact mod with not a lot of space and maybe switch to Switch sticks. The case itself is pretty far done as well. I'm aiming for it to be done in April but most likely it will take a bit longer then that.
As soon as I get my new boards I'll test them and update this thread as well. That will probably be in quite a while though.

BocuD

Portables
So, another update. I just ordered this simple test board to try out the different regs with the wii. They should work according to the datasheet but I guess I can't be sure till I try them :P
upload_2019-1-27_16-48-2.png

The difference with PowerMii lite by Noah is that this one is a bit bigger as I wanted to make this as easy to assemble as possible. This is also evident in the fact that all passives (except for the inductors) are 0805 and the regulator modules themselves are SOIC instead of QFN. It uses the TPS563210A regs instead of the TLV62130, as they were the closest in functionality and performance I could find while still maintaining that different package. The entire BOM is about 16$ if I include the PCB so that's nice as well. Other then this I further completed some parts of the board that aren't really that interesting.
This looks amazing. I really like those LEDs a lot. What type of LED are they?
They are just standard 0805 SMD leds, nothing special really

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So, another update. I just ordered this simple test board to try out the different regs with the wii. They should work according to the datasheet but I guess I can't be sure till I try them :P
View attachment 8052
The difference with PowerMii lite by Noah is that this one is a bit bigger as I wanted to make this as easy to assemble as possible. This is also evident in the fact that all passives (except for the inductors) are 0805 and the regulator modules themselves are SOIC instead of QFN. It uses the TPS563210A regs instead of the TLV62130, as they were the closest in functionality and performance I could find while still maintaining that different package. The entire BOM is about 16$ if I include the PCB so that's nice as well. Other then this I further completed some parts of the board that aren't really that interesting.

They are just standard 0805 SMD leds, nothing special really
That's a pretty slick (and easy to assemble) board, me likey.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
For your leds, I suggest making your Difusers one piece, kinda like what nintendo does for the Wiimotes, Then they aren't tiny pieces that you are going to lose. it's one tiny piece that will be lost.

also what chip are you using for Battery management? is it the one that Seer found?

BocuD

Portables
For your leds, I suggest making your Difusers one piece, kinda like what nintendo does for the Wiimotes, Then they aren't tiny pieces that you are going to lose. it's one tiny piece that will be lost.

also what chip are you using for Battery management? is it the one that Seer found?
No, its the BQ24123 instead of the BQ24170. It only does charging for 1-3S instead of full management, but it has a lot of status crap and is nice to work with. I'm using a simple charge and play circuit that combines a power mosfet with some passives to do the switching part. I would have used the BQ24170 at first but it requires a LOT of passives and support components. I'm using the same diffusers as nintendo does in wiimotes yea, just a tiny bit more opaque as they are 3d printed.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Well, a few days ago I got a nice package from Digikey. I had to pay 15eur import taxes which is less nice though. Anyways, yesterday I got another package, from china (AllPCB) this time. It came with some brand new PCBs so I went and soldered up a board, and well, everything seems to be working! The only problem i have at this point is that the 1.15V regulator is putting out 1.055V cause I picked the wrong reference resistor for this one, but the reg itself is fine so it doesn't really matter. I might replace it tomorrow with another resistor (probably axial kek) to test it with an actual Wii :D
IMG_1022.jpg

Edit: after about a day this thing stopped working for some reason. I never tested it with a real wii for a number of reasons, the most important of them being that whenever I put a load on the output the voltage just drops to 0.3v on all of them for some reason. I actually ended up assembling 3 of these boards to try and fix this, with no succes :(

Attachments

Last edited: