Night vision goggles

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I picked up some kid's night vision goggles at a thrift store a while back, just to mess with. It uses IR Leds and a camera that can see them, so basically one eye can see through a tiny lens on a tiny screen, and the other eye sees nothing. It has a limited range of vision (in terms of left and right, up and down) but can see surprisingly far and is actually pretty awesome. It has two modes, one where you can't see the leds light up and a stronger, brighter mode where they light up red.
20170326_151748.jpg

So today I got a junk wii sensor bar for my wiip to test IR Leds with. And I'm trying to get the led to light up, but I can't see it. I haven't really played with IRs before except for the goggles, but figured that it was probably working and it just wasn't visible to me. And I was like well crap that's going to suck trying to troubleshoot, because I'm not even sure which leg is positive.

20170326_151559.jpg 20170326_151601.jpg
And then I'm like oooooooh what if my goggles can see it light up? So I get them out, and sure enough, it looks like a little white LED lighting up through the camera. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I just thought it was cool that I have an actual practical use for these goggles. It was really hard getting a pic with only two hands, but the left pic is the led off and the right one is it turned on.

20170326_153745.jpg
Edit: Oooohhh. They're so pretty.

Last edited: