New Nintendo 2DS XL revealed

Yes, it IS real
My first thought was "lolwut?", And I still stand on that, internally. The exterior of the console? GOD gimme 20 and a taco. It looks so good! What do you think about this console?
(BTW, I have to make my project on a case that looks exactly like that. God bless the Pi Zero)

I was pretty surprised when I saw the video earlier though I like the design more than the regular 2Ds.

If the price is right I'll totally upgrade my 2ds to this. Monster hunter hurts my hands on the existing 2ds (no other game does, just monster hunter)

I wonder if this is a "new 2DS XL" with the improved processor, I'd love to hack it to improve the frame rate in non-new 3DS games

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I think it looks dumb lol. Kind of cheap looking, old iphone connected to a crappy usb gamepad kind of way. On par witch the "hunk of cheese" look of the first 2DS I guess, which looked worse on the internet but not as bad actually seeing it so hopefully that's the case here.

OG 2DS is still my goto way to play Mario Kart though.

I quite like the way this one looks. I never really cared for the original 2DS, but I think they did a great job with the case design.

Ampz

I thought the whole idea of the 2DS was to make a "unibody" design so that kids couldn't rip off the top screen

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's exactly what I was thinking, my younger sister ripped of the top screen of my 3DS XL a few years back...

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Was pretty certain you were trolling with this post. Color me mildly surprised.

$150 isn't bad, but if I'm going to upgrade to a "New" DS just to play the Xenoblade port, you better believe I'm playing that in 3D.

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
I agree at @fibbef, Xenoblade looks 10/10 in 3D. As for the design, it almost looks like a phone was put on top. The way those buttons look remind me of a standard 2DS Joystick compared to a 3DS joystick. Ya know that plastic feeling? it feels terrible. Also, the way that the body curves so drastically inward it's unappealing and makes me think that fingers are gonna get pinched. The way the 3DS hinge is attached is great the way it is. My only complaint is the sound hinge makes when it clicks. I felt like I broke something the first time I opened my *new* 3DS XL...

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
My first thought is that it was a joke, but apparently it's real. The cellphone tacked on top isn't a good look and it actually looks more fragile to me than a 3ds (although maybe it's sturdier in person). But, I do have to say that as a modder, the more revisions we have, the better. I mean the new 3ds gave us the perfect solution to ds style buttons with their detachable dpad. This could have something usable in it as well. So I really can't complain about having more options :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Tbh that looks dumb as fuck, don't know why anyone would want to buy it... Just get a used console for roughly the same price, but actually get all of the features of the console :P

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Tbh that looks dumb as fuck, don't know why anyone would want to buy it... Just get a used console for roughly the same price, but actually get all of the features of the console :P
Or buy a used Wii for $15 and build a portable gaming device 100x better.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The kicker will be the battery life. Have the Nintendo gremlins actually managed to get the thing running reliably for more than 4 hours?

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Well, the New 3DS is SNES Virtual Console Exclusive, you can't get SNES otn a standard 3DS or 2DS model.

I like the idea of the New 2DS, but not as a clamshell design, and not at 100$USD.

It needs to be unibody as @Noah mentioned., but no more wedge, be more creative or Slimline it.

That's my thoughts.

Separately, I own 3 New 3DSXL consoles (Japanese, North American, and another that's Luma setup), and 1 New 3DS Console from the UK. Plus a GPD XD :)

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
The wedge was purposeful so you could see the screen at a better viewing angle when placing it flat on a surface. Not much else you could do besides the clamshell design and the wedge really.