New idea: pre trimmed wii.

Do you remember when gman made a custom n64 motherboard that ran almost the exact same way (so that it wasn't emulation)? My idea: do the same but for the wii. We could make it the same size and stuff, so that it works with pre-designed builds. Give me feedback pls!

Viilmo

Portables

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Several people are currently working/have worked on this. Atm The Lightniing seems to be the only active project. So far it has proven very fiddly to do, mostly due to the large BGA chips requiring special hardware and technique to desolder, reball, and solder to the custom boards without shorting or destroying the chips. The idea is possible, and one of these projects will eventually succeed, but it's almost completely out of scope for a beginner to achieve. The people working on this idea have many years of modding and EE experience under their belts, and I would recommend waiting for one of them to have a successful boot before thinking about dedicating months of your time and hundreds-to-thousands of dollars on prototypes and tools.

Several people are currently working/have worked on this. Atm The Lightniing seems to be the only active project. So far it has proven very fiddly to do, mostly due to the large BGA chips requiring special hardware and technique to desolder, reball, and solder to the custom boards without shorting or destroying the chips. The idea is possible, and one of these projects will eventually succeed, but it's almost completely out of scope for a beginner to achieve. The people working on this idea have many years of modding and EE experience under their belts, and I would recommend waiting for one of them to have a successful boot before thinking about dedicating months of your time and hundreds-to-thousands of dollars on prototypes and tools.
makes a lot of sense. I was already gonna wait on finishing my ashida first but after looking at those threads i understand its no easy task.

Do you remember when gman made a custom n64 motherboard that ran almost the exact same way (so that it wasn't emulation)? My idea: do the same but for the wii. We could make it the same size and stuff, so that it works with pre-designed builds. Give me feedback pls!
wii projecter