New gc audio amp?

jat428

I am pretty sure I fried my audio amp and would like to purchase a new one but don't see one on the store. I didn't read the instructions properly on my first attempt and put the magnet wire through the vias and shorted something out. It was initially working. I bought another wii and started over but still no audio. I've got the volume icons displayed and it does go up and down as it should but no sound. I have checked 1.8 and 3.3v and both fine and my connections are all in the proper spots and have continuity back to the chip.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you provide photos of the amp as well? We need to be able to see everything in order to help

jat428

Noah suggested I contact gman to get a new amp ordered but I'm not sure how to contact him. Will someone from the gboy team please sell me a new gcaudio amp? Or at least give me the info I need so I can have one made?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hi,

Could you please share pictures of the amp and your testing? It is difficult to destroy the audio amp. I think it may be salvageable perhaps. Let's help each other out.

jat428

here's some pics. I have tested voltage to amp and it is good. I tested continuity from the amp all the way back to the chip on the wii.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Make sure you scraped the solder mask off the vias, tin them, and then solder the wire on. The copper needs to be fully exposed before you solder. You can do this with an xacto blade carefully. I'm sure you know this but it doesnt look fully exposed from what I can tell in the picture.

jat428

I'll go over it once more. I took the wires all the way back to the chip on the last wii board and had the same issue though. This is a new wii with the same issue which is why I thought I fried the amp somehow. The volume icon worked in both

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I hear you. The volume icon displaying means that the Wii is successfully communicating with the amp over I2C, meaning that it is not entirely "dead".

jat428

ok just went over it again, scraped more solder mask, cleaned , retinned, resoldered. same result! volume icon works but no sound!

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Did you test with headphone jack? Are the speakers making correct connection to the spring leaf pads?

jat428

I think my initial post wasn't very clear. This is my third wii board. The first I had everything working but then started having video issues. I decided to start over and chalked the first up to a test run. My second attempt I figured it would be easier on the sound part to just run the wires into the vias and this is where I screwed up. After getting no sound at this point I decided to rework the sound wiring. That's when I had a wire break off in the wii board. Using some desolder wick I was able to pull the wire out of the via but realized I had inserted that one way too far, like a quarter inch. I'm pretty sure it hit the cpu die and shorted something out. I tried to save that board and actually took all the wires to the chip but same result. So now I am on the third board but still have the same problem. The speakers and amp did initially work though on the first board.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ok I dont have any spares built up but if you want to send me it I can test it and swap the amp IC.

jat428

That would be Awesome! Do you want to PM me an address to ship to or advise how to proceed?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is that exposed wire touching the neighbouring solder blob?
1616462363081.png