Discussion "New" 3DS IPS Display Suppliers?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I have been trying unsuccessfully to track down replacement IPS displays for the "New" 3DS, and have only found TN ones. Has anybody been able to find a supplier?
For those of you who don't know the "New" 3DS and 3DS XL are excellent systems, but they have some huge consistency and quality control issues. For example, some new 3DS systems will contain TN screens, while some contain IPS screens. IPS screens provide better viewing angels, more vivid colors, and improved 3D effect. But which one you get is completely random, as there is no indication on the box as to what the screen type will be. The only way to know is to either open it before you buy it, or buy it, open it, check it and return it.

Here is an example of a TN vs an IPS display, and how TN washes out. The difference is much more pronounced in person, and is comparable to a backlit vs front-lit SP. Note that all old 3ds systems use TN.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Are you looking for a display for the New XL or just the regular size?
Me personally? Im looking for both IPS screens on the regular sized one and a bottom IPS for the XL.

It would be nice to have suppliers for all 4 IPS screens (regular top, regular bottom, xl top, xl bottom) and have them linked here on bb. I know Im not the only one looking for IPS screens.

JacksonS

Portables
I have seen 2 IPS screens so far. These stickers were on the backs of the screens. They have in common the "LAM049M003AX" ID at the top, although the last digit varies. I believe this one is likely an IPS display.

Screen 1:
2016-06-26 13.28.08.jpg

Screen 2:
2016-06-24 04.57.55.jpg

This is the back of my TN screen, and it has no sticker. It looks like this one. I believe the text at the bottom represents the same information found on the stickers on the IPS screens, so the ID for the TN screen would be "LQ049T1LE13P".
rsz_2016-06-30_161526-1.jpg

"LAM049M003AX" and "LQ049T1LE13P" definitely seem like specific IDs for the 2 different LCD types. The "049" part refers to the 4.88" size of the XL screens, the same way that "070" in "AT070TN92" refers to 7.0".

Another note: New 3DS XL screens cost around $50 on eBay, so if you see one for around $20 or less, it's probably for the regular XL.

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
does that apply to both the top and bottom displays?
It doesn't seem to be that simple with the bottom displays. I've never seen a bottom IPS screen, but I've looked at pictures on eBay. Most of them have three codes on the back that seem random and not related to the size of the screen. Here's one.