Question Need some help with my first portable wii

So before I waste anyones time by writing a whole speech for someone to ask, I'm using(attempting to use I think is the right word here?) Mp1584 EN module boards for my power supply. Anyone had luck with these?
On my third motherboard(starting to run out of wiis with dre's to buy locally, haha), all I did u10 relocation first to confirm it worked, then cut with diamond cut off wheel, and sanded with 80, 200 & 600 grit sanding blocks to chamfer the edges to avoid shorts. They all tested within expected ranges when I tested resistance, but all 3 do the exact thing, quick blip on the screen then all the voltages jump up by .08-0.3 volts and then it just sits there doing nothing. Thanks in advance!20210730_144115.jpg20210730_144151.jpg20210730_144101.jpg20210730_144036.jpg20210730_144042.jpg

xGreth

Try relocating the 3.3v to the point above the GPU and test that for me please.
Also, if you don't mind sharing... What is powering the regulators?

Last edited:
Try relocating the 3.3v to the point above the CPU and test that for me please.
Also, if you don't mind sharing... What is powering the regulators?
Ok, just started work, be home after 12 my time. But I usually stay up LATE tinkering. And I'm using a ps2 power adapter. Was also gonna try something beefier. Thanks!

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
I used them in my SP Liite wii portable, you can check it out in the cutting edge section. They do get mega hot though and I had to put a heatsink on them

xGreth

I used them in my SP Liite wii portable, you can check it out in the cutting edge section. They do get mega hot though and I had to put a heatsink on them
That was my second thought.. most of the cheaper regulators are rated MAX amps with a heatsink.

so moved the 3.3 to the other spot, still not booting, and the voltages are still jumping up, although only by 0.15 on all of them now. the 1.8, which is the onboard, is at 1.77, so no shorts on the 3.3 line I guess?

just outta curiosty, what resistor values did you use for the 1.15 and 1.0 voltage regulators? would just pull them off my regulators and measure them, but with whats going on with the wii mobos ive trimmed, beginning to think i cant trust my current multimeter for resistancesO.o

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
I think I used the data sheet to use a formula to find the correct value, but I don’t have access to my stuff right now, remind me on Monday and I will look! I think I have a sticky note with the values I used

Found my older, but autoranging multi meter which I trust waaaaaaay more than the aliexpress special I was using. I may have somehow managed to get a short on all 3 boards between the 3.3 and 1.15 line if I'm reading the numbers correctly. So going to grab some higher grit sand paper and have at her again.

so went out and bought some wet sand, ridiculously fine grit sand paper and a sandingblock(600 and 1500). turns out what i thought was my 600 sanding block stash, was in fact 320 grit(place i usually buy from colour codes the sanding sponges) did one board and did an upated trim resistance sheet for it, hoping its all in range. Going to be redoing the other one or two boards and testing them as well after work.

Attachments

so the rvk-01 is booting now, still having a .08-.12(the heatsinks helped with the voltage spikes, thanks Senor Avocado) jump on the voltage lines after boot up, assuming it has to do with lack of cooling on the board right now, and the fact that i havent swapped out the shitty little pots with fixed resistors yet. i'll add my measurements to the trim resistance thread and start a worklog for the rvk-01. gonna resand the cpu-04 and cpu-01 probably today. the 04 will be a backup for the portable, and i'll probably turn the cpu-01 into a wii or gc classic at some later date in time.

I think I used the data sheet to use a formula to find the correct value, but I don’t have access to my stuff right now, remind me on Monday and I will look! I think I have a sticky note with the values I used
So I think I figured it out. Removed the shitty little pot, soldered in a better 50k pot, bridging the wiper and one of the end pins. Soldered the lone pin to the lone point on the board, and a wire to the two joined pins on both the pot and board. Set the right voltage, removed power, desoldered the wire from the pot, measured it, then resoldered the wire, rinse and repeat. These numbers look right? Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20210802-193236_Docs.jpg

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
So I think I figured it out. Removed the shitty little pot, soldered in a better 50k pot, bridging the wiper and one of the end pins. Soldered the lone pin to the lone point on the board, and a wire to the two joined pins on both the pot and board. Set the right voltage, removed power, desoldered the wire from the pot, measured it, then resoldered the wire, rinse and repeat. These numbers look right? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 18205
So I calculated 2.05k for the 1v line and 3.5875K for the 1.15v line (I didn't use these particular regulators for the 3.3v and 5v line on my portable. Your values look good to me, because I think they can be a little over, to compensate for wire length and voltage sag.