Question need a u10...

kyler

Does anybody have a spare u9 or u10 they'd be willing to sell? I just destroyed 2 more trying to get them off my second Wii... The prongs break off or the chip itself literally melts before I can get it off the board. I don't know if its the user or the tools, but I literally spent close to 45 mins gently removing solder from each prong of the last one- then a corner of the chip just melted off. *Flips table* I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't really want to go buy a third Wii, since I only had 2 to work with...

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Does anybody have a spare u9 or u10 they'd be willing to sell? I just destroyed 2 more trying to get them off my second Wii... The prongs break off or the chip itself literally melts before I can get it off the board. I don't know if its the user or the tools, but I literally spent close to 45 mins gently removing solder from each prong of the last one- then a corner of the chip just melted off. *Flips table* I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't really want to go buy a third Wii, since I only had 2 to work with...
What temperature are you using, and an iron or hot air? Hot air makes it so much easier, but I've got a couple if you really want to buy.

kyler

I only have a soldering iron, no hot air. I'm using around 400 degrees, nothing will melt otherwise. Definitely cheaper to buy one u10 than another Wii and a hot air gun...

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
400 degrees is way too high. I use 315C for everything except for working with the ground plane. If your solder doesn't melt at 400C then your iron is a piece of junk and you should replace it, preferably with a reputably branded soldering station like Weller or Hakko. Especially if the chip itself is melting.. Never heard of that happening. In addition, don't try to remove the chip by removing the solder from the pins, that makes it very easy to snap them off. Instead, blob the pins in solder and heat both sides of the chip continuously while GENTLY pushing horizontally with tweezers or the like.

I suspect if you continue using that iron you will break the board in a different way even if someone gives you a U10 chip.