Question NDSL HDMI Out Mod

Luca

It’s great to be able to hook up a Ds to a tv! How hard could this mod be to do?
It's reasonably easy, as long as you're a little experienced with soldering. Just export the PCB gerbers from their github using Altium and order the boards using something like JLC. All the components can be ordered via Farnell or mouser, and you need aliexpress, using the BOM on the github. Do the software stuff, the new tutorial looks way easier than the old one. Then solder it together and it should work ;)

PS. I don't know why the LED on my board doesn't work, but maybe I need to update to the new software..

EDIT:
RE: I have several questions, one what parts did you use, second how tf does the touch screen work when it’s on the tv?
Parts from JLC, Farnell and aliexpress. Touch screen I don't know, as I said this DS is mangled and the touch screen doesn't work. But I imagine it works by pressing the touch screen on the DS lol

So like, I did it:

It's attached to this molested GBA macro that I made when I just started with electronics, but it works lol. You have to hold down A, B, select, start in order for the firmware to work, since I followed the old tutorial. Looks like that they fixed that in a new version? If so, good job guys lol

Didn't think much about what to do with it much more, may make a custom thingie for it or something so it doesn't dangle from the DS so much..?

Good contender for a "WORLD'S LARGEST NINTENDO DS" video or something.. @Shank? or element14? >:)
View attachment 16376
We have released a patch for the firmware to have the functionality without having to do the button combination and without having to use the homebrew. I don't know if you've seen it https://github.com/LostNintendoHistory/Lost-NDS-TV/tree/main/fwpatch
You can see here a test:

EDIT:
It's reasonably easy, as long as you're a little experienced with soldering. Just export the PCB gerbers from their github using Altium and order the boards using something like JLC. All the components can be ordered via Farnell or mouser, and you need aliexpress, using the BOM on the github. Do the software stuff, the new tutorial looks way easier than the old one. Then solder it together and it should work ;)

PS. I don't know why the LED on my board doesn't work, but maybe I need to update to the new software..

EDIT:
RE: I have several questions, one what parts did you use, second how tf does the touch screen work when it’s on the tv?
Parts from JLC, Farnell and aliexpress. Touch screen I don't know, as I said this DS is mangled and the touch screen doesn't work. But I imagine it works by pressing the touch screen on the DS lol
@Luca
did you see the polarity of the led? maybe you have it backwards. There is no software there, the led is an indication that the output of the DAC is enabled

Last edited:

Luca

We have released a patch for the firmware to have the functionality without having to do the button combination and without having to use the homebrew. I don't know if you've seen it https://github.com/LostNintendoHistory/Lost-NDS-TV/tree/main/fwpatch
Cool :) That's a giant improvement

did you see the polarity of the led? maybe you have it backwards. There is no software there, the led is an indication that the output of the DAC is enabled
Could be, who knows lol. The switch doesn't do anything either, maybe it's related. Or I did something dumb.

How many pins are in a Ds top screen ribbon cable? I’m looking for a long one.
The BOM in the github has a link for the correct cable I think.

Pablo

Portables
3 - G-Wii, Gamebii, G-Boy
I wanted to see if I could make one with a more custom footprint but don't have a way to convert the altium files. Any possibility of kicad files or a method to import them in?

I wanted to see if I could make one with a more custom footprint but don't have a way to convert the altium files. Any possibility of kicad files or a method to import them in?
Did you try this https://github.com/thesourcerer8/altium2kicad ?
Is 2 independent video outputs (one for each screen) achievable or is only a single unified video output?
With NDS TV Out only one screen (with possibility of swapping screen). It's a limitation of the SoC.

Luca

This is so cool - from the moment you boot up, there's an output
IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg
IMG_5020.jpg

Like I said, no touchscreen because this thing barely works, but this could be pretty cool. Too bad there's no Guitar Hero DS community:
IMG_5022.jpg

I guess this is the cheapest way to capture GBA games on original hardware?
IMG_5027.jpg
IMG_5026.jpg

Awesome work man @nitehack, I look forward to any new versions of this!

This is amazing! I can’t wait for what will come next, maybe a consolized Ds or 3ds video out! Only time will tell.