N64SP v2

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm going to make another indepth video on this but I'm just so excited about how it came out.

Notable features over the first version:
FRAM memory pak
4MB Ram swap (expansion pak compatible)
Heatsink!

The case was printed on a Form2 with clear resin and then painted with Tamiya clear red paint. Funtastic finally achieved! The buttons were also printed on the Form2, molded, and casted in resin.

20201021_192838.jpg

20201021_192348.jpg

20201021_185320.jpg
20201021_190412.jpg
20201021_190432.jpg
20201021_190458.jpg
20201021_184206.jpg

Key to solid working n64 portable is solid cart slot wiring. Bonus points for matching wire.

20201021_184110.jpg

I made a new PCB which has contacts for the spring leaf speakers, bit less wiring involved. I used switches I found that are designed for mouses, they are sorta clicky but feel more mechanical keyboard like and not as stiff.

20201021_101942.jpg

PIF breakout board to make the trim simpler to rewire.

Wow, defying the laws of portableizing...yet again. This is unbelievable!

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
This is amazing portable Gman, do you guys still have plans to update the N64 guide to trim the board that small?

Wow, what a great build, can't wait to see the next revisions with your 3x3 board. Are you making another kit but for the n64?

Yours, and others work on here has inspired me to jump on the bandwagon. Can't wait to kick off a n64 worklog ASAP. This console holds a place close to my heart, and modding it is a bucket-list item for me.

I've been slowly collecting N64s and WIIs / parts, everdrive, ultraHdmi(hope to get it before Half Life 3), ram, station+tools, Ender 5 Plus printer..... I cant imagine how much stuff you guys must have collected over the years...

Again, what an inspiring project. If you ever need beta testers, I am very interested, especially in this new trim method/guide to come (or the 3x3 heart-stopper).

I troubleshoot tech for a living, and am looking for ways to contribute or inspire new ideas on here, eventually. :)

Talk is cheap, I cant wait to start sharing!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Wow, what a great build, can't wait to see the next revisions with your 3x3 board. Are you making another kit but for the n64?

Yours, and others work on here has inspired me to jump on the bandwagon. Can't wait to kick off a n64 worklog ASAP. This console holds a place close to my heart, and modding it is a bucket-list item for me.

I've been slowly collecting N64s and WIIs / parts, everdrive, ultraHdmi(hope to get it before Half Life 3), ram, station+tools, Ender 5 Plus printer..... I cant imagine how much stuff you guys must have collected over the years...

Again, what an inspiring project. If you ever need beta testers, I am very interested, especially in this new trim method/guide to come (or the 3x3 heart-stopper).

I troubleshoot tech for a living, and am looking for ways to contribute or inspire new ideas on here, eventually. :)

Talk is cheap, I cant wait to start sharing!
The topic of releasing the N64SP files or possibility of a kit. I dont know! It's almost a perfect candidate: sexy case, low number of individual parts, not many wires in assembly.. However the N64 trim is more advanced so it might not be the greatest kit depending on who is going to use it. I think it's one of my best models to date and Noah has built one as well, and one other person will be building one so if there are a few others close in the community I'd be down but as for a full scale release I just cant say it is logistical.

That sounds great man I'm glad to hear there are others with a big interest in making N64 portables! I too have a soft spot for the N64 and it was my first system to make portable and well I just keep on coming back to it!

The 3X3 morphed into the AIO. It's a more integrated pcb for a portable N64. Includes battery management, system regulators, and audio amp. Only thing missing yet is the video option (would require a digital video replacement like ultraVGA/HDMI or n64advanced. https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/n64-aio.3883/

They all look incredible but that ice blue one is both love and life.

Those look incredible. Great job as always. I’d love to build one! Though I should probably finish previous projects first..